Things that are guaranteed to put you off an eBay listing

What's Hot
StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
The word L@@k.

The use of phrases like "from Neve SSL studio" or "like Gibson, PRS" in the listing header.

Passive aggressive selling ("This is the LAST TIME I'm listing this" -- well, it's not anyone else's fault you set a ridiculously high starting price, is it?)

"Grab yourself a bargain" -- it's an auction, how do you know it'll be a bargain?

Sob stories ("I really don't want to sell this but my rabbit needs an operation...").

Listing it as a Fender or Gibson when actually it's a Squier or Epiphone.

"Sold as seen because I have no way of testing it..." It's a snare drum. You hit it. It makes a sound.

I'm sure there are many more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    'RARE'
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5148
    My favourite is...'I have 2 of these and this is my spare one' :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Any over-effusive, flowery language which talks-up the item in question.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    'She' is a beauty.
    'She' plays well.
    'She' is a frigging plank of wood, you moron!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    Descriptions that begin "I am selling my..."

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    People listing as Best Offer and replying with "ha ha ha" like some bloke did today.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Guitars with dubious and tenuous links to celebs, "this guitar belonged to [insert shitty indie band] and was given to the roadie after their first UK tour".

Then asking £10,000 for a Japanese Telecaster...

Out of focus pictures, or stock photographs of the real thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • "plays better than my Custom Shop guitar"... But you're selling this rather than cashing in on that.. why?

"Modified"... Followed by a list of modifications to justify a big price hike over an unmolested example. 

"She" makes my skin crawl. 

Anything with ridiculously high postage charges. £20 is ok... More than that makes me think twice. 

There's a few sellers i wont bid on- you can tell they're shill bidding to put the price up.
     One even refused to sell me an item because the end price wasn't "economically viable" for them (no reserve though). 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    When they insist on cash only even though its a breach of Ebay rules because Paypal always has to be offered.

Ads where the price includes the cost of mods that I don't want!

Ads where you'd expect the hard case to be included for that guitar but the seller has kept it but expects to get the same price!

Ads with no or low feedback responses.

Ads that require collection only with no postage option, which means its pointless bidding if they are too far away. 

Ads where something is missing or broken and the seller says its easy and cheap to fix/replace. If its that easy and that cheap why hasn't the seller fixed it so they can sell it easier and get a better price!?

Ads where the seller says they know nothing because they are selling it for a friend!  Doesn't inspire confidence! 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665

Anything with ridiculously high postage charges. £20 is ok... More than that makes me think twice. 

walk into a post office with a cased and properly packaged guitar and you would be lucky to walk out with change from £40

i trust people charging high postage more than those who assume they can post a guitar for a tenner
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Ebay

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

walk into a post office with a cased and properly packaged guitar and you would be lucky to walk out with change from £40

i trust people charging high postage more than those who assume they can post a guitar for a tenner
    Guess I'm lucky- My local guitar store will send your guitar via their courier for £20. They'll even help you package it up! 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    WezV said:

Guess I'm lucky- My local guitar store will send your guitar via their courier for £20. They'll even help you package it up! 
    Oh, there are loads of cheaper ways to do it and if you see a high postage charge it's worth asking what you are getting for the money.

There are also loads of people who underpack and send by the cheapest and slowest route.   

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Should be ok but not got means to test it...

Oh what BS... Read... Tested and it's fucked!!!

• TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    "Plays like butter"...
    We are all Chameleons...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    A priceless piece of rock memorabilia which will only go up in value.
    A unique opportunity to buy this once in a lifetime investment. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    WezV said:

Totally agree. 
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited April 2017
    It's not just on eBay but gumtree etc and even forums.
    over use of the word rare?
    best guitar I've ever owned?
    Only selling because I need the money but will trade for a special guitar?

• WezV said:

Yep, that is a bloody good service! Wish I had a place near me that did that.
    Link to my trading feedback: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58787/
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Lawsuit 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.