Things that are guaranteed to put you off an eBay listing

What's Hot

Comments

• robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3444
    ''Sold as seen''  ''no returns'' , yeah like id be buying that then.

Then there is ''worked last time I used it before I put it in the loft 3 years ago'' , well just fecking plug it in then and see if it still works? Oh, let me guess, you already did, and it didn't. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Also, ''post at buyers risk'',, eeerm , no , its up to you to get it to me in one piece, its not up to me to make sure you do this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Also going the the other route and considering buyers questions that are guaranteed to put you off...
    1) why are you selling it?
    2) I have not got the cash but if it's still available in 2027 I'll have it
    3) will you trade your custom shop LP for my ibanez whatever
    4)  the ad says collection only but will you ship it to outer Mongolia 
    5) can you send me a pic of the inside of the pickup cavity and while you are at it could you take a picture of every fret so I can judge the fretwear 
    6) the worst one of all once you have answered all 5 questions above together with another 179 others not to be told.  ... "I have not got the cash at the moment but will you take 25% of what you are asking as I'd really like it". 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezV said:

Anything with ridiculously high postage charges. £20 is ok... More than that makes me think twice. 

walk into a post office with a cased and properly packaged guitar and you would be lucky to walk out with change from £40

i trust people charging high postage more than those who assume they can post a guitar for a tenner
    Royal Mail won't ship musical instruments. If you have you've been lucky-ish - bet it cost a fortune. But if you declare it as an instrument they shouldn't accept it.

My biggest turn off with ebay is any listing that has special characters/stars/unnecessary punctuation in the title...or generally

***Rarerest of the Rare ONE OFF 19XX Strat/Les Paul/Chibson etc...*** with stars and all sorts surrounding the title.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ''Please don't ask me any questions as I don't know anything about it''
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28125
    WezV said:     

i trust people charging high postage more than those who assume they can post a guitar for a tenner
    Under £15 insured with ipostparcels. I've sent four guitars with them without incident. Not a vast number, but not bad.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    "Here we have a..."

You're not a professional auctioneer, pal. It does make you sound like a typical trader though, which makes me trust you a little less when you talk up the item you're selling.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Also back to the original question - the item for sale being "demonstrated" by the seller's wife or daughter etc.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2942
    Voxman said:

Ads where something is missing or broken and the seller says its easy and cheap to fix/replace. If its that easy and that cheap why hasn't the seller fixed it so they can sell it easier and get a better price!?

^ This

I'll throw this gem in:

"If you are reading this then you already know how great it is etc, etc," ......

Yeah, damn right, and I already know you are skating on thin ice.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    robgilmo said:

Then there is ''worked last time I used it before I put it in the loft 3 years ago'' , well just fecking plug it in then and see if it still works? Oh, let me guess, you already did, and it didn't. 
    Very much this. Every pedal I've bought with a similar description didn't work.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Sporky said:
    Also back to the original question - the item for sale being "demonstrated" by the seller's wife or daughter etc.
    Or indeed the seller/modifier himself...
     ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    "HarrySeven had first refusal but didn't take it."
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    WezV said:

Anything with ridiculously high postage charges. £20 is ok... More than that makes me think twice. 

walk into a post office with a cased and properly packaged guitar and you would be lucky to walk out with change from £40

Guess I'm lucky- My local guitar store will send your guitar via their courier for £20. They'll even help you package it up! 
    Do you live in Dorset?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    "Pictures to follow"
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    'From my private collection' 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96

I have here my......

If you're looking at this you already know great these are

I'm not going to put the details up here as there are plenty other on the internet (or words to that effect)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Ads that are written so poorly it seems like a toddler has been at it, often combined with a solitary obscure out-of-focus picture. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    WezV said:

Royal Mail won't ship musical instruments. If you have you've been lucky-ish - bet it cost a fortune. But if you declare it as an instrument they shouldn't accept it.

Since when?   I know they won't honour insurance but they still try and sell that.  I have sent many guitars via 4 or 5 different post offices, always obvious what they are.  Sometimes I take the hit in the price for the convenience of dropping it off locally.   I have sent less in the last few years though, so it may have changed.  

I did try using a local dhl point recently.  They wanted to inspect the guitar I had spent an hour packing up the previous night.... and treated me like a terrorist when I suggested that was unreasonable

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    @wezv - ipostparcels is worth a look, from-you-house-pickup, insured and inexpensive.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I know where to find cheaper postage.  home pickup doesn't really work for us.  There are loads more options for drop of points these days, but the post office is still my fall back plan

the point was high postage on an eBay listing shouldn't make you think someone is being shady.   You are free to enter into a conversation with them about it.  Let's not forget packacking materials either. Some guitar shops will give you a box for free, others would charge you a tenner.