Columbia reverb first run out with in depth analysis!

What's Hot
bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
The Swamp City Shakers
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    very accurate review many thanks
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    Now I'm convinced ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Compared one for a short while to the deltone the other day, I thought it sounded wonderful, but the deltone sounded a bit juicier. Perhaps just speaker break in... Still preferred the juiciness of my J20 to the columbia, but the deltone....
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    edited April 2017
    ruoma said:
    Compared one for a short while to the deltone the other day, I thought it sounded wonderful, but the deltone sounded a bit juicier. Perhaps just speaker break in... Still preferred the juiciness of my J20 to the columbia, but the deltone....
    @ruoma I'd love to hear a deltone up close. Was that in a shop or an owner
    edited April 2017
    Shop in Germany. Had a huge shootout between Lazy j, Louis, redplate, reeves, sebago. Amps that came out on top were of course the j20, the Columbia, deltone and red plate bluesmachine. 

The columbia was a bit crispier and favored the highs, the deltone a bit juicier and favored low mids. But all amps were brand new and dialed in in just 2 min so ymmv. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So a bit more detail then.
    i was actually sitting in on a session playing bass on Sunday but had the pleasure of listening to two very talented players taking turns between using my Columbia and my mates Morgan sw22r.
    Adam who was mostly on the Columbia was playing it clean and just pulling out classic tones with a strat. Big fat round low end with top end sparkle. Alex plugged his board into the Columbia and using a Kalamazoo overdrive the amp just took off. No unpleasant fizz, just fat warm overdrive and the low end held up a treat while being driven hard.
    i have to say that the Morgan is also an amazing sounding amp too, quite different to the Columbia but a huge sounding combo.
    got to hand it to these builders. They are producing amazing amplifiers. And I don't think there are any particular winners, they are all good, just different.
    horses for courses and all that!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    I think I preferred the deltone cause it shared some of the juiciness of my j20. The Columbia sounded a bit stiffer tbh, but again, brand new amp so net broken in yet. And then after that I tried a komet 19. Holy shit balls!!