How about we make us a guitar?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I think it is a great idea.. Not sure how much help I'll be but I can certainly supply some parts once we know what is needed..

On the design - a Tele is fine, but it would be nice to have something unique as our flag-ship, even if it is just varying the outline shape and curves.

For example a Telemaster instead of a Tele.

WezV's own designs are great, and TTony and Sporky have come up with cool stuff too, so using one of those would be cool (if they don't mind), for example.

Thinking wider though, if we're looking for some publicity for the forum, why not run a competition to have a guitar designed and then built by TheFB?

People could register here and submit a design, and I'm sure we could find somebody 'famous' for the winner to have their foto taken with and get more exposure from that angle.

With the TPO we didn't really have the time to do all the local PR, but it is easy enough to do if we run a comp - it is national and a lot of press releases - and then if it did move around a la TPO as long as we have it planned where it will be and when, it is no big deal to spread the word.

Either way though, should be good fun :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2013
    WezV said:

I do seem to have quite a knack for consolidating others crazy ideas
    *shuffles feet*
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455

Wow ... time passes quickly round here.

Quite a few new people have joined theFretBoard in the last few days, so I'll bump this back up to the top to see if there's any recent joiners who'd like to play.

And it's time to kick-off the DESIGN PHASE.  What shall we build?

Given the number of possible options (ie just about infinite), I suggest we limit it to a rather narrower choice, otherwise this will never get off the ground. So ...

1. A Tele, cabronita style.  Easy to do (increasing the chance of getting it done), popular, but hardly ground-breaking.
    2. A versa-Strat-style.  Something with interchangeable scratchplates allowing for SSS / HH / SSH combinations.
    3. A full-fat LP alike.  Don't see so many of those "home built", but still reasonably straightforward.
    4. A self-design.  If this is the chosen option, I'll be looking for a volunteer for the chief designer role, and we have to agree to go with their decision.

If we had voting functionality, I'd add a "vote now" button.  But we don't, so please reply with choice & comments please ....

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701

We need a target date to make sure it gets finished.  Best bet is an event where can show it off, and all get to play it.  Is there any chance we can persuade Ian to arrange a Beaglefest, or would someone else like to volunteer?

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Tele with a Monkey Grip !!!!!!
    :O)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Of those options, 4.

But I'm happy to contribute a fretboard whatever the design is. Templates too if you want.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Why cabronita? Why not A Proper Tele?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    Because there are already a bazillion proper Teles?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    and ...?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455

Because if we started with a completely blank piece of paper in terms of what we're going to build, we'll end up with more suggestions than there are participants, and we'll still be discussing it when musicradar returns to life.

For me, the suggestion was more about the process of building something co-operatively, rather than the specifics of what we'd build.

So I made some editorial decisions and came up with a shortlist.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Roland said:
    and ...?
    And I don't see the appeal in being a recreationist. Why do what's been done before tens of thousands of times?