Gassing for a Chapman!

What's Hot
NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
edited April 2017 in Guitar

I know the mention of Mr Chapman on here normally gets met with mixed opinions, but im hoping this doesn't become like that.  

After looking at the new range of Chapman guitars announced recently, ive found myself REALLY gassing for an ML-1 (probably the 'Traditional' model).

From what ive seen, they've done a great job on the new range, and most of the new models look fantastic. I would obviously go and play a few before buying. So it will be a little trip down to sunny Guildford at the end of June/beginning of July.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've played a couple of ML-1s and not been wild about them. I'd be interested in trying more though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    I was going to start a new Chapman Guitars thread, after some interesting opinions in a thread about the Cap10 America last week.  I do like it, and I do enjoy Lee's style of playing, would be keen to audition one as I need more strat in my life.

I've been planning a trip to Andertons for some time, the main thing stopping me being I'd probably buy a guitar and should probably sell some first!

I'd like to try an ML-3, as a tele optimised for the slightly heavier side might be a golden bit of kit.

Have heard bad things though, some have commented the ML1 is heavy for a strat copy (which it is, lets face it) and that the new Pro pricing puts them right up with high-end Mexican Fender and lower end Gibson, their new Flying V costs somewhat more than a Gibson one!

I have a lot of time for the Andertons/Chapman team (Captain, Chappers, Matt, Rabea etc.) they all seem really capable motivated guys who want to make great guitars.  Their use of Youtube not only has provided me with hours of free entertainment but is also superb promotion for both Andertons and Chapman.  Full fair play points to all of them.
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A big fan of the youtube channel myself, however the thing I dislike about chapman guitars is the fact they seem to make a song and dance about their guitars when in actual fact they are pretty much similar to other guitars in that price point. There really isn't anything unique about them. They are made in a factory by the same slaves who make the competitors cheaper guitars.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited April 2017

A big fan of the youtube channel myself, however the thing I dislike about chapman guitars is the fact they seem to make a song and dance about their guitars when in actual fact they are pretty much similar to other guitars in that price point. There really isn't anything unique about them. They are made in a factory by the same slaves who make the competitors cheaper guitars.

You realise they're selling them though don't you?  I don't think 'They're overpriced and built by slaves' is much of a sales pitch.  
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

A big fan of the youtube channel myself, however the thing I dislike about chapman guitars is the fact they seem to make a song and dance about their guitars when in actual fact they are pretty much similar to other guitars in that price point. There really isn't anything unique about them. They are made in a factory by the same slaves who make the competitors cheaper guitars.

To be fair, that pretty much sums up the industry and any other industry relying on craft and perception, any watch tells the time, a Rolex tells the time and costs a f**ktonne of money.

I'd say as tele-copies go, an ML-3 doesn't look like a lot of other tele-copies.  That said as Chapman guitars are made in small numbers, you will be able to get the same "quality" guitar for less money - its guaranteed.

But, as you say an ML1 is essentially a strat, so the ML1 is competing with Mexican actual Fenders, and an ML2 is a Les Paul, so is competing with the Gibson Fadeds etc. which are DAMN good guitars for the money.  It's a tough sell, which is one reason why I'm so interested in opinions on them.
  • Adam_MD said:

You realise they're selling them though don't you?  I don't think 'They're overpriced and built by slaves' is much of a sales pitch.  
    It isnt , but it is the truth.
  • A big fan of the youtube channel myself, however the thing I dislike about chapman guitars is the fact they seem to make a song and dance about their guitars when in actual fact they are pretty much similar to other guitars in that price point. There really isn't anything unique about them. They are made in a factory by the same slaves who make the competitors cheaper.

I'd say as tele-copies go, an ML-3 doesn't look like a lot of other tele-copies.  That said as Chapman guitars are made in small numbers, you will be able to get the same "quality" guitar for less money - its guaranteed.

I would dispute this, they are made in factories that churn out thousands of guitars for many manufacturers every week... just because there are less chapman guitars ordered doesnt mean they are gonna be better quality than say a PRS SE.

Dont get me wrong Im not saying they are not great guitars..... but they are mass produced in the slave trade

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The best Chapman:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Well...that escalated quickly :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

A big fan of the youtube channel myself, however the thing I dislike about chapman guitars is the fact they seem to make a song and dance about their guitars when in actual fact they are pretty much similar to other guitars in that price point. There really isn't anything unique about them. They are made in a factory by the same slaves who make the competitors cheaper.

I would dispute this, they are made in factories that churn out thousands of guitars for many manufacturers every week... just because there are less chapman guitars ordered doesnt mean they are gonna be better quality than say a PRS SE.

That's not what I meant, sorry if unclear.

I mean that the factory will offer a better per instrument price on an order of 10,000 instruments than of say 500.  Therefore although the Chapman hits the streets at a higher price, they are not inherently better made than their brethren made in larger runs.

Does anyone have any information on the factories used by Chapman?  I'd suspect that none of the Chapman team would be happy if their guitars were made with slave labour.  CHEAP far east labour as part of a complex global economy sure, but not slave labour.

The reality is our entire standard of living here in the UK depends almost totally on cheap far-east labour, but that does not inherently mean slaves or even workers struggling to live in their countries.  Surely a supervisor level worker enjoys a reasonable standard of living in Indonesia (by their standards, very different part of the world) just like a supervisor-level person would expect in Britain?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    They're made by world guitars who are actually a pretty good and renound  factory, who also make the strandberg os and prs she's, they're plenty of videos of the factory at work. 
  • I played the ML1, ML3 and Ghost Fret in Andertons last year and they were OK. I found them all very heavy, and the Ghost Fret somewhat undersized compared to an Explorer. The pickups were really quite naff compared to the usual Fender/Gibson/Aftermarket stuff we see around too.
  • mprcompmprcomp Frets: 1
    I have a CAP 10 America and so far so good. Only thing is that the board is very flat even compared with Les Paul. I have 14 days to return so going to compare to a couple of other guitars and see what I think. I live in North east so can't really go on a trip down.

I got mine as B stock for 550 and now they are 720 to buy brand new. Meant to come with gig bag but mine came with a solid Chapman case so can't grumble. It's just trying to find out if meets my needs as my strat pretty much. 

Im interested to see if the weight issue has been resolved then on these new models.
  • Nikko said:
    Im interested to see if the weight issue has been resolved then on these new models.
    Given the current prices, you'd certainly hope so - I was aghast at the cost. I know there are certain economic realities at play, but IMO you'd be barmy to buy an ML2 over a real used Gibson, ESP or PRS.
    Its the ML-1 im after :) Ive already got a Gibson LP, and an ESP Viper.
  • Maybe it's just the sense I got from the first few releases where they seemed very much an Epiphone-style outfit - but wouldn't you want to save a little more for something like a Suhr, Vigier, Tom Anderson, etc. if you want that classic strat style? There's a G&L S500 in classifieds, I've seen USA Schecters too
    I don't think we should underestimate the value of the "Chappers and The Captain" and just Chapman brand, the guy has done an absolutely stunning job of building that up.

They cater to a niche as well.  Basically shred versions of the classic shapes (an oversimplification I know, but largely).

Some of those prices though, seriously ouch.  Admittedly £399 for the basic ML3 isn't hideous at all, but it is comparable to a Squier Classic Vibe tele - can it really be better...?
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    Nikko said:
    Given the current prices, you'd certainly hope so - I was aghast at the cost. I know there are certain economic realities at play, but IMO you'd be barmy to buy an ML2 over a real used Gibson, ESP or PRS.
    I must be barmy then!

I bought a used ML2 instead of a used PRS SE. My impressions are that it is as good as as the PRS SE (ebony fretboard actually better IMO, and anyway it was built in the same factory etc), and was actually quite a bit cheaper. Mine already had upgraded pups, so I cannot comment on the stock ones. 
    Im just trying to not rule them out before ive had a chance to play a few. Sure, I 'could' save a bit more cash and go for one of the more established brands, but whats to say I wont pick up one of these new models and absolutely fall in love with it? Ya never know.