Drive/Distortion for a fat, beefy lead tone but also good with a BF Fender, does one exist?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Thanks for all your suggestions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Okko Diablo works well with BF Fenders - its more of an overdrive than distortion but it does have quite a bit of gain on tap.
    I've also found that Fender amps seem to need stacked drive/distortion to get the best out of them - so I'll use either a Nobels ODR1 or similar with something like a RAT set to a lower gain than I'd normally run, to get the thickness plus the volume boost. That can get pretty huge and you can then tailor the tone on each pedal to remove any flub.

I've noticed that with my Princeton, I've shifted on a few overdrives recently due to me being stupid and impatient and not spending enough time with them.  
    I'm getting some pretty huge and thick sounds with my Zvex Double Rock when cascading either 2 x Box of Rocks or Distortrons the sub switches are very useful too. I'm really gelling with this pedal and it may be all I need especially with the added Super Duper 2 in 1.   
  • peachespeaches Frets: 45
    Just a word on the SS/BS, with a fender you probably want a Mini, the more flexible EQ is far more useful. I had a lot of problems with getting the Fuck to work nicely with an AC15, and some of those carried over to my Twin Reverb. Mini sounds absolutely incredible though after dialing down the treble a bit. Brian is a genius, can't recommend his work enough. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I used to swear by my MI Audio Crunch Box. Why did I sell that? Numpty.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    Or the humble Marshall Guvnor2 is about as fat as fat gets with its deep control.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    another vote for an OCD or *cough* - Joyo Ultimate Drive - *cough* if you wanna kinda try one for cheap.
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Harmonic Percolator variant. Much more interesting than typical overdrives.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Gassage said:
    Effectrode Blackbird will do this wonderfully well.
    Coincidentally! I was looking at one of these a few weeks back, look's like a right beast! I have a CTC Blackface Stardust which covers my BF tones beautifully but I have to say I'm well intrigued. 
    After a week of my second blast with one, I am enchanted by it. The BF EQ is sensational.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Effectrode Blackbird will do this wonderfully well.
    Coincidentally! I was looking at one of these a few weeks back, look's like a right beast! I have a CTC Blackface Stardust which covers my BF tones beautifully but I have to say I'm well intrigued. 
    After a week of my second blast with one, I am enchanted by it. The BF EQ is sensational.
    It does sound massive and meaty! I'd be OCD with those little tubes though
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    I'll echo the SS/BS mini suggestion. I would have a great time if my board was nothing but Brian's effects and I'd make some awesome noise as well. The mini is a swiss army knife of drive sounds.

A distortion+ with LEDs for clipping is brilliant for gritty amp-like dirt/boost and clarity.

Don't get a Hudson Broadcast because I like thinking mine is special but I doubt you'd get a bad sound out of one into just about any amp.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I'm inclined to go with the Dr Scientist Elements, it's got so many options. SS/BS mini or Hudson Broadcast are great shouts though.
  • Cheers for the suggestions!