Bam vs Visesnut vs Hiscox

What's Hot
nkforsternkforster Frets: 29
edited April 2017 in Acoustics
I had three different cases in the workshop this week, so I made a short video comparing them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTm0s07PArA

Nigel
www.nkforsterguitars.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Ah, the voice of honest reason and 'normality' amidst all the hyped up nonsense thats talked over the www.
    I still watch your 'construction videos - 'today I'm bending sides' - and you - just eh - bend sides - or whatever your doing. I'd advise anyone to watch them - for therapy, as an antidote to drowning in all the  B*ll*hit talked.
    On the issue of cases - my main guitar is n a (green) Hiscox ol' style case and has been for 30 yrs - gigged regularly '95 - 05 and is still does the job - so I concur with your comments.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72294
    Very useful. To be honest I didn't think the BAM looked very good at all, and I don't even like the appearance, personally - very like the cheap moulded Chinese cases you can get, which are even worse.

The Visesnut looks good. I haven't seen one yet myself, but it has a couple of nice features that are different from the Hiscox. And I don't mind the look of that soft string-box cover he seems to take such a dislike to!

Hiscox have been the best I've had personal experience of, by quite a wide margin - I don't mind their cheaper range either, although they're not as good as the one he has there. The only other one that I can think of which comes close is Calton, and they're a lot heavier and more expensive.

Hiscox are also miles better than the apparently similar-looking SKB, which I haven't been impressed by at all. Not rigid enough, prone to cracking and with a tendency for the lining to separate. (That includes the cases they make for Fender, Gibson and Rickenbacker.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

And i'd like to add, now I want a Forster Model C and a Model D. Very nice work.
    And i'd like to add, now I want a Forster Model C and a Model D. Very nice work.
    Nigel, I recall hearing one of your 'D' models, possibly Brazilian b/s and although the sound quality was poor and playing quite basic I could still detect that it was a very fine sounding instrument.
    Any chance of doing another of a 'D' - with any b/sides.
    BTW - whats - ah it's ok, found the Microphone info on this video -

• nkforsternkforster Frets: 29
    AliGorie said:
    Nigel, I recall hearing one of your 'D' models, possibly Brazilian b/s and although the sound quality was poor and playing quite basic I could still detect that it was a very fine sounding instrument.
    Any chance of doing another of a 'D' - with any b/sides.
    BTW - whats - ah it's ok, found the Microphone info on this video -

No idea what the mic is. I don't make the recordings, Ian Stephenson does. 

This is the Model D video -

I have one in bubinga just now, if I return from Japan with it, it will be for sale.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or you can order one. Email me through my site for a price list. Waiting list is around 18 months.

Nigel
    nkforster said:

Mmmm lovely. Is that a flat top? I checked out your site and the HO stuff is very intriguing.
    ah - OK - I'll see whats in the piggy bank :3

this was the video I heard -

but yeah, the one you posted confirms my original thoughts on your D - what more would ya need .
    It is an amusing video -  very Saturday afternoon in your high street guitar mega-store with the teenager busking his chops - it could just as well be stairway to heaven 'n slap that dang thing - wicked.