Howard Goodall's Great Dates

ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
edited April 2017 in Theory
Howard Goodall's Great Dates

Four part music history series originally broadcast by Channel 4 in the UK, Autumn 2002.

1. 1874 Wagner  (in 5 parts)

Composer Howard Goodall links great pieces of music to the era in which they were written in a bid to prove that time, place, culture and politics had more of a part to play in the end product than the genius of the producer. He begins with a historical look at 1874, the year which saw the completion of Wagner's influential Ring cycle.

2. 1791 Mozart

1791 was a year of great political change: Louis XVI was beheaded in France; the US Congress adopted the Bill of Rights and the Constitution; and the ideas of Rousseau and the Enlightenment were all pervasive. It was also the year in which Mozart wrote his enigmatic opera 'The Magic Flute' and his renowned Requiem and then died. The mysterious circumstances surrounding the commissioning of the latter work led to the myth that the composer had been murdered.

3. 1564 Palestrina and the Rise of the Violin  (in 5 parts)

The year is 1564 and Europe is still reeling from the effects of the Reformation. The sacred music of the two churches Catholic and Protestant was developing in completely different ways. Instrumental music was also rapidly gaining in importance as was ballet, championed by Catherine de' Medici, Queen of France. From the violin, which dominated her dance bands, the orchestra would emerge.

4. (part 4 will be along shortly, if I can find it on YT, feel free to post a link if you find it first!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Mostly broken into multiple programs, and as the editor has a habit of screwing up embedded video if the post is edited, I have chosen to have a separate post for each, in case YT take any down and I have to find a new version sometime in the future.
Sorry for any inconvenience to your viewing pleasure  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments