Wearing rings while playing

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
Now I have a ring on my finger, I was just wondering how many of you keep yours on whilst playing guitar? Doesn't seem to stop Malmsteen lol..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited April 2017
    I take mine off and put it on a chain around my neck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    If I were to take mine off I'd need to put it in a gigantic luminous case so I didn't lose it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    I leave mine on, doesn't seem to make any difference to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I keep my Wedding ring on. Doesn't seem to get in my way. Im sure you will get used to it in time Tom.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • I don't even like wearing a watch for playing, a ring would destroy me! If I wore a wedding ring I would probably do as above.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14174
    tFB Trader
    I wear it and never thought about it - doesn't feel alien to me playing with it
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I'll leave mine on (assume we're talking wedding rings), gold being softer than frets it seems to come off worse and could do with a trip to the jewellers for a re-polish
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I haven't taken my wedding ring off other than to clean it since 1988. I never even notice it normally.

As far as I know it never touches the guitar, when you bend your finger inwards the ring gets covered by the fold of the palm.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Used to clunk on the fretboard a lot and was kind of annoying.

I found this stopped happening when we started divorce proceedings. Um....Other solutions are available.

17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I keep my wedding ring on at all times (since I lost my first one :D) took a bit of getting use to (while playing guitar) when we first got married but wood got use to it.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7150
    My wedding ring has squared edges, so I've never liked wearing it to play. Leave it at home when gigging, much to the wife's annoyance! 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    My wedding ring has squared edges, so I've never liked wearing it to play. Leave it at home when gigging, much to the wife's annoyance! 
    Good excuse :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I don't wear any rings.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Sometimes my wedding ring bothers me when I'm playing and sometimes not so it's part of the pre gig rituals to take it off and put it somewhere safe (and watch and wallet and phone). And, lets face it, a big part of my live performance depends on feeding off the sexual energy coming at me from the audience so a wedding ring would only hinder that. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    My cock ring always comes in handy for reaching G10.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    My cock ring always comes in handy for reaching G10.

....and this is why Gassage is banned from every lap steel dealership in the UK, Europe and North & South America.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    Used to clunk on the fretboard a lot and was kind of annoying.

I found this stopped happening when we started divorce proceedings. Um....Other solutions are available.
    this, i pretty much gave up guitar when i was married, although my impending divorce had nothing to do with my guitar playing and everything to do with my ex being a total twat 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    I found it a bit awkward to start with but now I don't even notice it when playing.
    I did find that you can use it for a bit of slide playing on the high E though! 
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5614

I have stupid thin bony fingers but even stupider fat knuckles.  My wedding ring needed to be a couple of sizes too big just to clear the knuckle and would flap around at the base of my finger and get right on my nerves, even when not playing.

When playing it was just so irritating - it was so loose around my finger it would move around a lot and I'd just have to take it off.

Since being divorced the problem has rectified itself.  If I was ever to marry again I'd have to get a ring with a split so it can give a bit over the knuckle and hopefully squash down so it stayed put around the base of my finger. 

My love life is more barren than Babylon so not really a foreseeable problem.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    I keep my wedding ring in a drawer, I can't stand wearing rings. My wife doesn't really seem to mind.