Changed strap buttons on my bass

Small job but I was concerned that the small strap buttons fitted on my bass were not secure.  Even when Fender branded 'rubber' disks were fitted.

The 'before' shot:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee495/RockerDIY/IMG_0428_zpspvu2mr33.jpg

As suggested by @ICBM, I got a pair of bass string retainers from Axerus and, using the existing screw, replaced the stock button with the bass string retainers.  Surprised at the thinness of the button screw but it must be strong enough!  

Anyway the 'after' shot:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee495/RockerDIY/IMG_0430_zpsjep1hlv2.jpg

Not a big job but my bass now feels more secure on the strap.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72214
    Rocker said:

As suggested by @ICBM, I got a pair of bass string retainers from Axerus and, using the existing screw, replaced the stock button with the bass string retainers.  Surprised at the thinness of the button screw but it must be strong enough!
    Might have been someone else! Not wanting to take undue credit…

Be careful with assuming the stock button screws are big enough. In my opinion many instruments leave the factory with wholly inadequate screw sizes, both for thickness and length. Anything less than about 5mm outer diameter and which goes into the wood at least an inch is too small.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    My apologies to both @fretmeister and @ICBM.  Having checked back, I found it was indeed fretmeister that suggested using the bass string retainers to replace the stock strap buttons.  Thanks fretmeister for the suggestion.

@ICBM, the screw is nowhere near 5 mm diameter, :open_mouth: , but it is fairly long - at least 25 mm into the wood.  I will monitor it for the time being.  It is fairly easy to enlarge the hole in the bass string retainer and replace the screw with a heavier one.  I will look out for chrome finished screws 35 mm plus long.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24175
    Don't think I've ever seen a 5mm width strap button screw being used.

On heavier instruments I often put a drop of woodglue or locktite in the hole. Never had one pull out.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    You can fill the hole with cocktail sticks and wood glue ( trim off the ends :innocent: )if you need to rescrew strap buttons. Used that as a rock solid fix, even done it successfully on refitting a door hinge. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    I checked the front button screw on my bass and compared it to the equivalent on my Squier Tele and found the Tele screw was much thicker and heavier.  The Tele is a fair bit lighter (in weight) than the bass!  I will go about getting heavier screws for the bass.  I know the bass screws have not failed so far, but.....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72214
    Don't think I've ever seen a 5mm width strap button screw being used.
    You're right, my mistake. I just checked my box of 'good strap button screws' and they're all around 4mm. The only ones that are 5 are for the rear strap button on a Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Today, I changed the strap button screws for ones that are heavier than the originals.  The buttons needed to be drilled out - 4 mm drill bit proved to be just big enough for the screws - and all fitted like a dream.  I now feel confident that the strap will not slip off and that the screws are man enough for the job.  Pics are more bother than they are worth for this kind of work, a screw looks more or less like any other screw out there.....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum