So, should get a mic soon...

And it's a superlux PRA 628 II.  YAY.

So, how much volume is typically needed from an amp to achieve decent (not talking super pro here) sounds?  Or is it kinda irrelevant - assuming there isn't so much background noise.  

I plan on recording quite quiet when others are in the house, and cranking up to 'loud home' volume for other stuff.  

It'll mostly be pretty aggressive rock, doomy stuff for lols and some higher gain soundscape type stuff.  I'll occasionally use the clean channel too, because it exists.  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It just depends on your amp and the sound your after ! There really are no rules 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

You will probably need a fairly high but not excruciating level. My son found around 90dBSPL in a small (12x12x8.5ft) room was about right and that's with a mic of about the same sensitivity as the 628 (actually a Relso RB with a 12dB boost traff).

The received wisdom is that you need rather less distortion than you think but much depends upon whether the guitar recording is going to be a solo or part of a mix.

Now that you have a mic don't forget re-ampimg?

Dave.

• ecc83 said:

You will probably need a fairly high but not excruciating level. My son found around 90dBSPL in a small (12x12x8.5ft) room was about right and that's with a mic of about the same sensitivity as the 628 (actually a Relso RB with a 12dB boost traff).

The received wisdom is that you need rather less distortion than you think but much depends upon whether the guitar recording is going to be a solo or part of a mix.

Now that you have a mic don't forget re-ampimg?

Dave.

Haha don't worry, I'm not playing the same part a thousand times over while I tweak eq settings! I'll record dry via the pod studio, then reamp till I get it sounding good.  Also means I don't need to worry about string noise creeping in.  

Cheers lads.  I'll experiment.
  • To be frank the volume need will depend greatly on what you are trying to achieve.  Provided you've got a sound that you like, far more significant that a 'necessary' level of volume for recording is the ratio of volume to noise floor.   For example one of the most flexible amps in our studio is a rebuilt Classic 50,  You can get some great sounds at lower levels, however you have to compete with the fan noise.  This can be combatted with inventive mic placement but is still a consideration in relation to output volume. 

Although most amps don't have a fan to work around there is still amp hum and noise to consider.  This is a decision you have to make based on the track.  Clean guitars in fairly sparse tracks will need more volume in order to avoid the amp noise becoming a significant part of the sound - unless that is what you are after.  I would never use a noise gate recording (actually I would never use one full stop), however with heavy and busy tracks you can actually get away with much lower volume, provided you are getting a decent sound, as the noise is either buried and never exposed or is acceptable.

The track 'I Would Be Good' by Alanis Morrisette is a good example of how the noise floor to signal ratio is more of a consideration in clean, sparse recording but can also be used as an effect -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMt3_p04XaQ

The mic position will also have a great effect of the noise to signal ratio.  The Alanis track is clearly miced very close.  Compare that to Jeff Buckley with an absence of noise which was possibly as much an effect of greater distance between mic and amp as well as volume. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIF4_Sm-rgQ

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Thanks man, wisdom awarded.  

The clean channel on the bandit has a background hum that's present at all volumes.  Actually, it doesn't get louder or quiter as you change it, so cleans might need to come up in volume to combat that.  The dirty is pretty silent, impressively.