Push/Pull Pots

What's Hot
Having ordered some new pickups from Ash for my CE 22 I've decided to take out the rotary switch and go for a 3 way with push/pull tone coiltap.  I've been browsing a few music sites this morning to order the parts and would like some help with push/pull pots.  I've seen quite a few of them and am not sure if there's really any difference other than price.  I don't mind spending a little more money if I thought I'd actually be getting a better pot.  

The main contenders are

That's 4 different pots ranging from £7 to £22 for the PRS pot, I don't mind spending £22 if I knew it was going to be a well made pot with a better taper but I've been burned by expensive pots before and due to the lack of info on any of these pages I'm struggling to see the differences.  Anybody used any of these pots who can share some wisdom before I bite the bullet and get some ordered?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    edited August 2013
    Get the WD one. First, it's a push-push which is easier to use than a push-pull. Second, it's the only one with the correct 3/8" US bushing diameter to fit the existing tone pot hole... all the others have the smaller 8mm far-east size - yes, that includes the official PRS one which is ludicrously overpriced anyway. Of course the smaller ones will 'fit', but you may need some bigger washers and it's something of a bodge in my opinion.

(When PRS are fitting them to new guitars, of course they only drill the hole to 8mm.)

Also make sure to only use the proper Switchcraft right-angle switch, it's the only one which fits the pre-routed control cavity properly. Have a look inside if you're not sure what I'm on about! And yes, you do need to open out the hole diameter slightly, but you'll never want to go back anyway... you'll need a taper reamer to do this or be very careful with a file.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    ICBM said:
    Get the WD one. First, it's a push-push which is easier to use than a push-pull,

Definitely, many times over.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    You sir are a genius.  I don't believe I didn't notice the bushing size on the WD one.  Well now that's sorted I'm assuming I just need a right angled toggle switch with the existing volume pot and I'm all sorted.  This guy should fit I think

edited August 2013
    Yes, that's the one. You don't need the extra deep nut for a PRS either, the top is thin enough to take the standard one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Excellent thanks
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26750
    Big +1 for push-push pots. I don't know why anyone would still use push-pulls these days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Big +1 for push-push pots. I don't know why anyone would still use push-pulls these days. 
    The sheer inertia of not being able to be arsed to swap them out of my guitar.

:)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :D
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    ICBM said:
    Get the WD one. First, it's a push-push which is easier to use than a push-pull.

+1. Push push are just so much quicker especially if you play with a pick. Would never go back
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    As you can't just glance down and see what your switching is set to, how do you cope with the risk of an unpleasant surprise with a more complicated setup, like Jimmy Page switching?  I can see it being great with a simpler setup though.  Any advice?

• On a related point, does anyone know a good way to remove a control knob on a push/pull without pulling out/wrecking the centre spindle - I recently knackered one (a Bourns pot too) getting the control knob off, I used teaspoons gently around under the edge of the knob but even that was too much and the spindle pulled out...
    As you can't just glance down and see what your switching is set to, how do you cope with the risk of an unpleasant surprise with a more complicated setup, like Jimmy Page switching?  I can see it being great with a simpler setup though.  Any advice?
    They're still a bit taller when engaged, so you can still see where they're set just by looking :)
    As you can't just glance down and see what your switching is set to,
    No different to a Push Pull, if thats what you mean. I find them very easy to see when they are 'out'
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    They're still a bit taller when engaged, so you can still see where they're set just by looking :)
    Thanks for that, looks like they are on the shopping list for the next project then      :)

On a related point, does anyone know a good way to remove a control knob on a push/pull without pulling out/wrecking the centre spindle - I recently knackered one (a Bourns pot too) getting the control knob off, I used teaspoons gently around under the edge of the knob but even that was too much and the spindle pulled out...
    Only pull the knob off (no, don't start all that!!!) with the pot in the 'out' position. Only push in on with it in the 'in position.
  • Big +1 for push-push pots. I don't know why anyone would still use push-pulls these days. 
    The push-pulls seem a bit more robust to me. The tolerances of the (even WD Music)  push-push pots seems a bit poor and the shaft wobbles a bit in the pot body. The push-pull version engages with a more positive snap I feel.
  • if you want to save money over the WD one, yesterday i bought a bourns 500k push pull pot new on the bay for £6.95 inc. postage, and it had the wider US spec collet too, so they're worth a look - bourns are allegedly on a par with CTS.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited August 2013
    These? The PCB-style pins make soldering trickier and joints less robust than proper solder tags with holes.
  • Nope it wasn't them, 

was from simnett guitars and I managed to get the last 500k in stock, but I'm sure they'll restock soon, as you can see its got the standard loop connectors
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited August 2013
    Thanks, that's pretty good. I've bought from Simnett and found him great to deal with.