Another dud set of D'addarios

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Changed strings before a rehearsal on Sunday. They sounded really bright and 'slappy' and after 5 hours of practice and they are completely dead.

I checked the serial number and they are legit. 

I had a similar issue a few months ago but I'm probably not going to bother buying them again. 

I don't much like Ernie Ball so what else is there? I used to use Rotosound years and years ago - are they still any good? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were fakes. The Chinese guitar fakes have serial numbers that check out correctly too - because they're copied from legitimate examples.

I would contact D'Addario and see what they say - the faking is a very serious issue for them.

I can believe getting one duff string in a set - I've had them even with D'Addarios - but a whole set makes me think something else is wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14029
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    It wouldn't surprise me if they were fakes. The Chinese guitar fakes have serial numbers that check out correctly too - because they're copied from legitimate examples.

I would contact D'Addario and see what they say - the faking is a very serious issue for them.

I can believe getting one duff string in a set - I've had them even with D'Addarios - but a whole set makes me think something else is wrong.

I agree with this - I use D'addario all the time on shop guitars and so rare to have any issues - check in with D'addario UK and see what they say - where you purchased them etc - Elaine there is a good contact  I haven't got e-mail address with me know but can get it if you need it Rico
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I've never had a duff set of D'Addarios since I started using them over 20 years ago.

I agree with @ICBM - I reckon they are fakes.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1926
    edited April 2017
    I switched from Dean Markley to Rotosound, as they started coming to me with random spots of rust and corrosion.

I switched from Ernie Ball (don't like them either) to Rotosound, then to Dean Markley Signatures and back again.

Rotosound seem the most consistent, but I would be using the Signatures again if they resolved the issue.

Fender Bullets (Blue Box) are nice if you want a 50s Tone.
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1029
    I've never had a duff set of D'Addarios since I started using them over 20 years ago.

I agree with @ICBM - I reckon they are fakes.
    Same here 20+ years and I've never had a duff set of D'Addarios - I would be hard pushed to remember the last time I even had a dud string from them.

Let D'Addario know where you got them from etc. I'm sure they will front you a new set for your troubles! :)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    These were the second set of a triple pack I got from the large river. Very strange indeed! 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I don't get all the hate for earnie balls, for me their incredibly consistent and work very well with my body chemistry. Tried others but didn't get on with most except dean markles and they seem more expensive and harder to find. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Where did you get them from?
    If it was a reputable dealer they should be your first port of call.
  • rico said:
    These were the second set of a triple pack I got from the large river. Very strange indeed! 
    I totally avoid getting my strings from there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    This begs the question of where is the best outlet to purchase D'Addario's from.

We all know D'Addario exhibit at the Birmingham Guitar Show. Therefore there's your Number 1 source. But otherwise .... can those in the know shed some light...
  • Been using D'Addarios for about 20+ years... and get through a lot of them. Never had a duff set.
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    rico said:
    Were they rusty?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    One of my mates has recently switched to using Dunlop strings and he's well pleased with them.

You could give them a try.
  • fandango said:
    This begs the question of where is the best outlet to purchase D'Addario's from.

We all know D'Addario exhibit at the Birmingham Guitar Show. Therefore there's your Number 1 source. But otherwise .... can those in the know shed some light...

I tend to buy bulk from a few of the better known online dealers that shift a lot of stock... Strings Direct, A Strings, Stringbusters.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Not rusty. 
  • Lebarque said:
    rico said:
    Were they rusty?

I get it. lol
  • DaiCappDaiCapp Frets: 135
    edited April 2017
    I put a set on one of my acoustic guitars - less than 2 hours and the wound g has started to come apart. Not want you want on a g string :-)

Got them from Strings Direct as well so not a dodgy source...

Seriously though, its not great for D'Addario if this is affecting a broad range and it wasn't great for me getting string debris stuck in my finger!
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    I've been using Dunlops exclusively for the last three/four years and have always found them to be spot on. I was always a D'Addario fan before that so they may work well for you too?
  • @rico , I would have thought that River Music would be a reputable company, though I wouldn't describe them as big.  Live and learn
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaiCapp said:
    I put a set on one of my acoustic guitars - less than 2 hours and the wound g has started to come apart. Not want you want on a g string :-)
    I've been known to get a bit overexcited when a G string came apart in my hands.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom