Another dud set of D'addarios

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    I tend to buy bulk from a few of the better known online dealers that shift a lot of stock... Strings Direct, A Strings, Stringbusters.
    A Strings are good chaps. Recommended and a wonderful range of guitars too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7076
    +1 for Fender Bullets, the discerning choice
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    fandango said:
    This begs the question of where is the best outlet to purchase D'Addario's from.

We all know D'Addario exhibit at the Birmingham Guitar Show. Therefore there's your Number 1 source. But otherwise .... can those in the know shed some light...
    Have you tried your local music shop?...........just a thought.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • skinfreak said:
    I tend to buy bulk from a few of the better known online dealers that shift a lot of stock... Strings Direct, A Strings, Stringbusters.
    A Strings are good chaps. Recommended and a wonderful range of guitars too. 

Do you work there? ;-)
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    tony99 said:
    Aren't Fender strings made by D'Addario now?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    drwiddly said:
    tony99 said:
    Aren't Fender strings made by D'Addario now?
    I think they are but I know they suck.
  • I've used both Ernie Ball & D'Addario on various guitars & they all seem the same to me! Good strings but I can't tell the difference perhaps they all come out of the same factory anyway!?!? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Never thought about them being fakes. I had a set a while back, two string were dead straight out the pack. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:
    This begs the question of where is the best outlet to purchase D'Addario's from.

We all know D'Addario exhibit at the Birmingham Guitar Show. Therefore there's your Number 1 source. But otherwise .... can those in the know shed some light...
    Have you tried your local music shop?...........just a thought.
    Who's supplying your local music shop?

The point was how to guarantee you are getting genuine D'Addarios.
  • I have bought from Strings Direct, actual Amazon (never resellers), Richtone, and on occasion Thomann. All the sets I've bought have been fine.

I would not buy from an eBay store unless I knew the shop (in which case it's often cheaper to buy direct anyway)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    I'm actually quite surprised D'Addario (and other string makers for that matter) haven't started a direct sales operation. I also work for a small company doing mail-order music accessories, and quite a lot of what we sell - even internationally - are strings. Postage is now so cheap that it's economical for someone in the EU or the USA, or more exotic places, to buy a single set of strings from us if they want to. The postage cost to anywhere is only about the same as the strings... and these aren't expensive strings.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• @ICBM, do you mind me asking what company? I'm looking to support someone other than Amazon!

I've tried all the others mentioned in this thread and only rate Strings Direct.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Hi guys, please feel free to tag me in these posts in the future if you need assistance.

Fakes are still out there but are a lot rarer than they used to be.

Unusual for them to 'go dead' in about five hours.

With Amazon:
    If it states in the listing 'Dispatched from and Sold by Amazon' that means it has come directly from ourselves to Amazon, so you can be assured of authenticity.
    If it is bought from another seller on Amazon just be sure you are using a reputable store. All of the ones mentioned so far are reputable dealers and there are MANY others. Most of the fakes are still coming from the far east.

If you ever have any doubts about a seller or listing you can always reach out to me and I'll take a look.

If you are happy to PM me your address (and some photos if you get a chance) I'll be happy to replace the set for you as they shouldn't be going dead in that space of time (even if you have highly acidic sweat like mine!)

Adam.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    rico said:
    These were the second set of a triple pack I got from the large river. Very strange indeed! 

Were they ones they were selling themselves or a reseller using their marketplace?

Given the problems with fakes, I will only buy ones that they are selling themselves.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    I've never had a duff set of D'Addarios since I started using them over 20 years ago.

I agree with @ICBM - I reckon they are fakes.
    And another agreement from me - I've used D'Addario's for a similar time and never had a duff set ever. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    @ICBM, do you mind me asking what company? I'm looking to support someone other than Amazon!
    Simpson's Guitars. The problem is that it's only any use if you want Alice strings :-). They're not bad actually... but I probably wouldn't claim they're as good as the 'name brands'.

In fact given that they're made in China it's quite possible they come out of the same factory as the fake D'Adds :-O.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson