Possibly stupid carpentry question

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
My custom head cab has finally arrived and I need to mount the 2204 chassis but I obviously want to make sure I still the cab correctly. 

There isn't enough room inside the cab to drill from the inside out which would be easy peasy but how can I measure/mark/drill from the outside?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72302
    Put the chassis into the head box. Measure the distance from the back edge of the box to the back of the chassis. Take the chassis out, turn the box upside down, and put the chassis on it with the same gap at the back (and making sure it's the same distance from each end). Drill through the mounting holes.

That assumes it's got external mounting flanges of course - if the holes are inside the chassis you'll need to work it out entirely by measurement. Masking tape is useful for making reference markers.

Make the holes about 1-2mm oversize so there's some room for movement.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

I would get some stout white card and cut it to fit the inside of the box. Then centre the chassis on it and mark it as a template for drilling. Drill 3mm or so holes to start with and get someone to 'eyeball' you to keep vertical (a drill press is vastly better) It is surprising how much 'wander' you can get in just an 18 mm thickness!

Because I am an anal old sod about such things, I would then insert pins in the holes and test the pins slide thru the chassis mounts. If all is ok, open out with the clearance ICBM suggests.

See, if you FU with the ~3mm holes you can plug with dowels and wood glue then flush them off and have another go the morrow!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited April 2017
    Easiest way is to get a piece of decent quality paper and take a rubbing of the mounting face of the chassis. Cut the paper to the outline of the chassis. Position it by doing what @ICBM said, measuring the distance of the rear face from the back if the shell.

Tape the template to the top and drill through it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    There are many wise people on this forum. Much obliged!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Don't forget to click the 'Wisdom' button to show your appreciation @rico .

I'll be doing the same sometime to save weight on my 95lb Bad Cat combo, so I'm glad you asked the question  :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Don't forget to click the 'Wisdom' button to show your appreciation @rico .

I'll be doing the same sometime to save weight on my 95lb Bad Cat combo, so I'm glad you asked the question  :)
    Done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom