Fender 1979 Twin Reverb Gumtree

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Looks to be in decent nic if all original? fender.com sticker hang tags in the late 1970's hmmm! 

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-twin-reverb-1979-exchange-/1225424527
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited April 2017
    Just up the road from me...not looking for another amp though, but used to have one of these big silver face beasts back in the 70's.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'd love to get one of these again but I'm on good terms with my neighbours.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited April 2017
    Forgetting the Fender tag, it looks a very nice example of a late '70s master volume export model, not quite so sought after as the earlier versions, but still cleans and volume to die for. Unfortunately a bit of a victim of the modern era, way to heavy and impractical to be carted to small pub gigs and the like, this where the SF Princetons and Deluxe Reverbs now come into their own and the price of the big twins does tend to reflect this.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    DJH83004 said:

it looks a very nice example of a late '70s master volume export model
    The owner is taking advantage of a neat 'extra feature' of these too… the voltage selector goes up to 260V, which although there is no mains voltage anywhere that high, is very useful because if you set the amp to that when it's actually only receiving 230/240V, it's like a built-in Variac - the internal voltages all drop by 10% or so which makes the amp run cooler, is less hard on the power valves, and a bit softer/warmer sounding too.

When I service these amps I always hardwire the voltage selector inside - as you should with any of these amps which have the same type, to avoid it being accidentally adjusted - but to 260V, even though I then leave what is then just the indicator showing 240 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom