Acoustic amps

What's Hot

Long story short, I need an acoustic amp.  Not a small PA, something easy to carry with enough throw for small venues for 1 acoustic and the occasional vocal.

I've tried The AER Compact 60, nice but pricey. Sounded very HiFi. SR Jam 150, a bit bigger sounding than the AER, more bass and more flattering, still a bit pricey.

I've not had chance to try the Fishman Loudbox range, the Artist looks great for the price, good spec but none local to try.  There's also the Vox range.  Anybody tried either of these these?

Budget wise I'll just need to spend what I need to spend.  Play mainly fingerstyle solo, steel and nylon.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    The Fishman does sound very good, although I haven't tried the latest versions I can't imagine they'll be worse than the older ones!

I haven't tried the Vox either, but I haven't been very impressed with the reliability and backup on a lot of modern Vox amps.

The Ashdown Radiator is also worth a look if you can find one - not as hi-fi as the AER or Fishman, but sounds very good. Similarly the Trace Acoustic TA100 and TA50, but avoid the TA30 and 35.

Also avoid the Marshall AS50 or the original AS80 if you come across one too, they have reliability issues as well - although the AS100 is a much better thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Marshall AS100D user here, very well stocked with features, effects including chorus, delay, flange and modulation, multiple reverb options, effects and reverbs are footswitchable. One guitar channel, one mic channel, one channel with jack and XLR input. Also has a stereo aux input. One downside to it is it is a tad weighty...

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Yes I think the Marshall is too big for what I'm after, although most people say it sounds very good.

I think the Fishman might be the way to go, just wish I could try one.  Size wise the AER would be great, it's loud too but can't justify an extra £300 over the Fishman!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    +1 for the Trace Acoustics. I had a TA50R to use with my Parker and it sounded really sweet, lots of quality tone in a small package.

Peavey now own and make the TA's but new ones are big money.

The Fishman's seem to be the current standard for compact, gig friendly amps.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a Trace Elliott TA40 I might sell. Only had home use.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    I have a Trace Elliott TA40 I might sell. Only had home use.
    Probably not enough watts for me but thanks anyway
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Try the Tanglewood T6
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5458
    My mate had a Laney acoustic amp and really liked it.
  • I had a fishman loudbox 100 and its a great and very portable little amp. The on board effects were quite basic but very usable. Never got to use it in a live situation so can't comment on that. Our singer has got the 50 watt Marshall acoustic amp not sure of the model, but that sounded pretty good too. It coloured the tone slightly compared to the fishman but not in a bad way.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Our singer has got the 50 watt Marshall acoustic amp not sure of the model, but that sounded pretty good too. It coloured the tone slightly compared to the fishman but not in a bad way.
    They don't sound bad, but they have a known problem with cutting out if played at high volume for a long time - the power chip will overheat and shut down to protect itself. (It comes back on again after it's cooled down, but that can take quite a while...) It's not a big problem for light guitar and vocal use usually, but something to be aware of if you are intending to use it essentially as a portable PA where it's going to be as loud as it can be.

The 100W one doesn't seem to have this problem and is just a much more professional piece of kit all round - better features, better speakers, better cabinet design etc. It is a bit on the large/heavy side though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    Been using an ashdown radiator 1 for 4 or 5 years. Brilliant, and have no desire to change it (I'm a gas addict)..
  • I used a 100 watt bass amp for several gigs a few years ago for my Takemine classical, it was the only thing available at the moment but I was surprised at how good it sounded.  I've also used several Fender guitar amps and found that if you keep the tone controls way down it sounds great.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The AERs are pricey but the do hold their value if/when you sell. I sold my Alpha last year for what I paid for it new (£400) 5 years ago. If I was buying now I'd get the compact 60.
  • OK I bought a Fishman Loudbox artist for my daughter . I am blown away by it. It is 120w and fairly small ( I brought it home on the bus).
    It is 100w on the main amp and 20w on a tweeter with independant control.

I was concerned if it would be loud enough for a gig at a medium size venue , but no problem. It was crystal clear and the vocals were brilliant. The anti feedback features are also very useful. What I really like is the independant controls for the effects and the amount of ability to line out into a PA for bigger venues.

The only downside is she also uses now to plug her iphone in and have music REALLY LOUD in her bedroom.

The price was good (think I paid £440) , I A B it with a number of acoustic amps , and the it was much better than most i listened to. Even my strat (which she steals) don't sound bad.  here is a link to her playing in her bedroom  you can hear it with her playing and singing into it
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • woodywoody Frets: 74
    I use a roland ac90,which is very good...I recently heard an aer and a schertler,both very impressive,particularly the schertler.. I would say both would be an upgrade on my still impressive roland...
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    OK I bought a Fishman Loudbox artist for my daughter . I am blown away by it. It is 120w and fairly small ( I brought it home on the bus).
    It is 100w on the main amp and 20w on a tweeter with independant control.

I was concerned if it would be loud enough for a gig at a medium size venue , but no problem. It was crystal clear and the vocals were brilliant. The anti feedback features are also very useful. What I really like is the independant controls for the effects and the amount of ability to line out into a PA for bigger venues.

The only downside is she also uses now to plug her iphone in and have music REALLY LOUD in her bedroom.

The price was good (think I paid £440) , I A B it with a number of acoustic amps , and the it was much better than most i listened to. Even my strat (which she steals) don't sound bad.  here is a link to her playing in her bedroom  you can hear it with her playing and singing into it
    Cracking voice on your lass mate. Does she do her own material too?

The loudbox and AER are excellent if not too cheap, the Roland AC amps are great too for the price.
  • Yes she mainly writes her own stuff and has written over 100 songs ! As she is "signed" we are not allowed to play them until the release dates.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Nice one and post them when you can as I would be interested to hear her material. 
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    @musicegbdf  loved the video.  She's got a great voice!  I've been thinking of getting a loudbox too.
  • You won't regret it . It is a fine amp, and much louder than I expected .