Fuzz pedal with transformer

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
Interesting sounding pedal - what is the benefit of a transformer in there? 

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Is it to deal with the placement and impedance issues that some fuzz pedals have?
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 464
    It's there to fight back against the Decepticons trying to meddle with your signal chain.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    To bump up the price?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Well you can't accuse them of being unoriginal in their marketing style.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    sounds like a poorly fuzz face
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    If it's a Michael Bay limited edition transformer fuzz, then it'll be loud, noisy, and utterly horrible from start to finish.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Pete Thorn doesn't know either

Red ones are better. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I have no idea about that one, but a traditional Octavia-type octave fuzz uses a centre-tapped transformer and a full-wave rectifier as a frequency doubler.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Doesn't make the pedal sound any better. It's just not a very nice fuzz.
    I'll stick with my Fuzz Factory and Fuzz Face.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

I cannot find out where in the signal path the transformer is used? I would have thought on the output as here it could be driven hard and from a low source Z . It would also give the additional advantage of earth isolation. However, the claim of 'true bypass' makes that a bit pointless as looping out all the electronics removes all ground loop isolation!

If fitted at the very front, i.e. driven by guitar it would have to be of special winding specc' to give a high enough impedance and the result would, IMHO be VERY guitar and control setting sensitive. The pedal would also be very susceptible to hum pickup (the picture show NO shielding!)

All a bit of a money grabbing gimmick I reckon. Why go for a Big Name quality traff when you want to DISTORT the fekker?!!

Anyone interested in transformers can get one that is easily good enough for 'guitar' and neg ten operation from OEP electronics . A '600 Ohm' type 1200 should serve. On the OUTPUT! (around a fiver!)

Dave.