Strat Style Base for modding/upgrading

What's Hot
I've got a Strat itch. I love my LP Studio but it's heavy, 1990s heavy, so I'm thinking something Strat shaped. I could pass Go and head straight to a Squier of some description but fancy something else for some reason. 
 I've seen a few things pop up on Ebay and 2 that look interesting are 

Hondo H77
AXL Player Deluxe
Both in a local shop and around the sameprice. I'll be changing the hardware/pickups etc but nothing extravagant. 

Anyone have any experience with these 2 or suggestions for anything else to look for. I missed out on a Charvel (poss Korean made) the other day and have been kicking myself for not grabbing it at £110. 

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My experience is that many less expensive guitars, and also those made offshore from a few years ago (e.g Korean Squiers etc) do not always have standard parts, even though they superficially look standard - this can make upgrading something of a minefield. However, if you buy a secondhand 10 year old Mexican Strat or a CV Squier then most components are easily exchanged. For example an upgraded trem block, new correctly spaced saddles or a complete trem system are readily available as direct fit components for my example instruments, as are replacement pickguards where the screw holes actually line up correctly, and also major components like good fitting replacement necks, should you proceed that far. Of course, you should have no problem with things like pots, switches and pickups although even here there are occasional exceptions (some older Japanese guitars have none standard switches for example). So, it really depends on what you intend to replace, and whether you might be happy doing something like plugging and re-drilling the bridge mounting holes to fit a new bridge.

If I already owned the AXL or Hondo then I would take a close look at all the hardware, measure everything, and see what might fit before deciding whether they were worthy of upgrading. Unless you can do that prior to purchase then it's a bit of a gamble, and your money might be better spent elsewhere.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    Careful with the hondo, I had the same model and the neck pocket was far too wide for the stock neck, so the neck could kink off at a daft angle even when screwed down tight. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Hmm. I'm now edging towards buying a very nice US Strat my teacher might be selling instead. Thanks anyway

• SargeSarge Frets: 2393
    A slight improvement on the hondo then. 
    Sarge said:
    A slight improvement on the hondo then. 
    Just a bit. He gets through a few guitars and has come across a few lately that have dislodged keepers, had them already for 20 years keepers so it's a rare chance. He still hasn't said definitely yet but he's got to sell something sooner or later

So. it looks like he's holding onto his Strat, cant blame him to be honest.,I guess the options are as follows
    1. American Strat. I cant understand why theyre so expensive compared to a US made Gibson. My 1990 LP Studio was £450, a Strat is £600+

2. Mexican Strat and upgrade pickups/bridge/anything else I fancy over time

3. Any other HSS suggestions apart from Pacifica as I don't get along with the nut size

Max budget is £600 and that's pushing it.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I know you said at the start you didn't want a Squier, but the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified ranges have a lot of love on the forum.  I think the CV have the edge, but tend to be (for obvious reasons) SSS.

This Vintage Modified HSS is well in your budget, will be Fender compatible dimensions etc and I suspect is a great guitar:
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-hss-3-tone-sunburst/56120
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    I have a USA Strat and a Squier Affinity one; the Squier is a real Strat, but just every part feels cheaper, not quite as well-finished, etc.

The Squier isn't a bad guitar and is probably worth £50 (max) - no disgrace in owning one of those. There are usually some up on ebay.
    I know you said at the start you didn't want a Squier, but the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified ranges have a lot of love on the forum.  I think the CV have the edge, but tend to be (for obvious reasons) SSS.

This Vintage Modified HSS is well in your budget, will be Fender compatible dimensions etc and I suspect is a great guitar:
    https://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-vintage-modified-stratocaster-hss-3-tone-sunburst/56120
    I'm considering anything and notice the love for them but that particular ones headstock makes my eyes bleed. After playing his US one compared to Squier etc there's a noticeable difference. 
     I'm just shocked at how hard it is to find a decent used US built Strat for under £600, I must be way out of touch. 

prowla said:
    I have a USA Strat and a Squier Affinity one; the Squier is a real Strat, but just every part feels cheaper, not quite as well-finished, etc.

The Squier isn't a bad guitar and is probably worth £50 (max) - no disgrace in owning one of those. There are usually some up on ebay.
    I had a Squier Tele so it's not down to being a snob, I just like the US ones that I've picked up more than anything else. 

• You should be able to get a secondhand US Strat for under £600. Some US STD's go for under £600, and Highway One and American Special models should also go below £600. That budget also gets you a good Mexican model like a Classic Player. I'm not sure if the Classic Players are routed HSS, but a bit of routing for a humbucker is pretty trivial if you or a friend have access to a router.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'd go for a Mexican, especially the more recent ones, I feel that a lot of them are better than US ones. 
    You should be able to get a secondhand US Strat for under £600. Some US STD's go for under £600, and Highway One and American Special models should also go below £600. That budget also gets you a good Mexican model like a Classic Player. I'm not sure if the Classic Players are routed HSS, but a bit of routing for a humbucker is pretty trivial if you or a friend have access to a router.

This is what I thought so I headed off to eBay and got a shock to be honest, £600 gets you an American but usually no case. Id expected to pay that kind of money in a shop.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_usa_stratocaster_with_seymour_duncan_hotrails_and_fender_gigbag_2nd_hand-yfender48643.asp

I'd go for a Mexican, especially the more recent ones, I feel that a lot of them are better than US ones. 

This is slowly becoming more of a reality, Mexican with a few upgrades if needed.