confused....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

Imagine you are about to play a chord or series or a strumming pattern, starting with an UPSTROKE say

So you have the pick in place on the E 1st string.....is the BACK of your hand rotating AWAY from you to the floor for this UPSTROKE or is it rotating TOWARDS you ,to your face for the UPSTROKE?

apparently both are valid and I'm lost....no links to Troy dude please...how do YOU do it? 

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Away from you, or that's how I find it. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    thanks Kay.....I'm curious as to how folks approach this..ta  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    I think that's how l would play a reggae rhythm on the offbeat so it would be towards me.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    edited April 2017
    No rotation of the wrist for me, it just pivots up tae get out of the way of the strings 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Normally I'd bring my right hand straight up, with no rotation. However if I just wanted to strike a couple of strings, say D shape with no bass notes, then I rotate my wrist to get the pick out of the string line without slowing down the stroke.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9661
    edited April 2017
    Roland said:
    Normally I'd bring my right hand straight up, with no rotation. However if I just wanted to strike a couple of strings, say D shape with no bass notes, then I rotate my wrist to get the pick out of the string line without slowing down the stroke.
    This. If I do rotate my wrist at all then it's away from me. One thing though is that I never use a pick so on upstrokes I use the back of my thumb to hit the strings. Probably means my strumming technique is slightly different from most peoples' - less Pete Townshend and more Wilko Johnson.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    keep 'em comin' guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    Away ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    away.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The top of my hand (ie the line from thumb and wrist) on a down stroke goes towards the floor, and towards the ceiling on an upstroke.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Away for me.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited April 2017
    I had to stand side-on in front of a mirror to figure it out because I've never analysed that before.

For a 'reggae type' off beat rhythm, the back of my hand rotates away from me.
    For an upward sweeped arpeggio, the back of my hand rotates towards me.
    For funk rhythm, my approach looks like Nile Rodgers. But he's my rhythm guitar hero that I copied like mad, so that's probably what I want to believe. My hand just loosely flails about and there's a mixture of things going on.
    It's not a competition.
    Just done a litte Al di Meola string skip thing - I think the angle is fairly constant? 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    I thought the question was about strumming not picking (i.e. macro motion not micro motion).
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2017
    Oh yes! The accent was too strong for me to understand it properly.

I can't strum anyway. 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I dont get how rotating towards you would cause an upstroke unless the stroke itself is coming from the forearm or lateral movement of the wrist and you are dragging the pick across the strings and angling your wrist to soften the attack.

So I might do it like that if I was strumming softly with a hard pick for example.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ