Any recommendations for new nut and fret dress in Bham/WMids?

What's Hot
DanDan Frets: 441
Im kind of putting together a partscaster, which should be here next week.

I can do setups ok and soldering isnt too bad but new nuts and fret dresses are beyond me. So, does anyone know of good luthier who could have a look for me and is reasonably priced?

Preferably in Birmingham but dont might a bit of a trek around the West Midlands.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    You could try J Davey Guitars in Pattingham, as used by Status Quo, Robert Fripp, Robert Plant, Harry Seven and me. It's not Birmingham but it's a pleasant ride out in the countryside, just a few miles from where where my mother lives - she likes a visitor and take egg custards  but don't stay too long and don't mumble. 

@guitardrdock (or Phil to his friends) is on here somewhere and is the guitar repair guy at PMT, and I presume you can get hold of him via the store. 

Jaydee will do work but probably not the cheapest; you almost certainly won't get John Diggins himself, just one of the guys working there. 

Apparently the guy at The Little Guitar Shop isn't  based there doing repairs any more, should somebody mention him,  but there have been mixed things said about his work on here anyway. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    http://www.bobbarryguitars.co.uk/  ; .... one of the very best ...!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    I've used JDavey also - a top bloke once he knows you're alright ;) Great job on my Strat.

I've also had work done by Jaydee and I agree with what @EricTheWeary says. All good though. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited April 2017
    west said:
    http://www.bobbarryguitars.co.uk/  ; .... one of the very best ...!
    Link doesn't work, although the address appears okay if you cut/paste.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
    Sam Deakin. PM me for his deets
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Ill have a look into them.

Also apologies, I didnt see the massive stick thread about Recommended Luthiers & Techs!!!!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader

Jaydee will do work but probably not the cheapest; you almost certainly won't get John Diggins himself, just one of the guys working there. 

John has only done a couple of days a week there for a good few years now. Andy or Mike, his sons, do the majority of the work and are equally as good, they learnt from the master! Mike refretted my '55 Junior a few years ago and totally transformed the guitar, highly recommended.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)