Help to identify old electric guitar please...

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3620
edited April 2017 in Guitar
A friend of mine picked up a guitar a while back at a boot sale and is stumped by what he has. I'm no use either!

He thinks there is a chance it is home made as the jack socket is smaller than usual, about 3/16" and he heard tell that people used to use telephone exchange jacks/sockets in the past.

Any help would be great.

Came in the old Selmer case too - all for £25!
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Now that's very lovely! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    OK I have asked a friend of mine who was a 60's guitar dealer see if it rings any Bells. 

My view is it will likely be a model branded Dallas due to the rangemaster engraving on the trem and these were all featured on some of their other guitars such as the Tuxedo also Amps cabinets etc. As for the Trisonic pickups they may or may not of been stock but I think at one time Selmer distributed Dallas/Burns etc

Not really my era so thats a stab

But still a nice find for 25 quid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    The crude shaping around the back of the neck joint and the very uneven spacing of the machineheads also make it look DIY. The vibrato is a Dallas Rangemaster from around 1960 (same name as the later treble booster made by the same company), the pickups are obviously Burns Tri-Sonics, and the pickguard look like it might have come from a Vox of some sort… but i don't think they would all have been on the same original guitar. I could be wrong…

Still a steal at £25 - the vibrato, the pickups and the case are all worth much more than that each even if the guitar isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Now look what you've done!
    You've set off @HarrySeven ;
    He's going to make it his life's work to find another one just like it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    edited April 2017
    Obviously @HarrySeven would be my first port of call in Identifying this.

I'm thinking homemade as I seem to remember that Burns tri-sonics were one of the first pickups you could buy as a set.

Whatever it is £25 is a bargain!

Edit: Too slow!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Isn't that an old Dallas Tuxedo? As was John Lennon's first guitar, IIRC.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    Yup - concur with posts above - Dallas Rangemaster vibrato ("Dallas Solid Special", etc), Burns Tri-Sonics, etc..

The whole thing does look a bit "home-brew" - I've got a short-scale bass with pretty much all-Burns hardware which is obviously home made (but to a very good standard). Interesting as a whole, but as @ICBM says, the parts are where the value is at.

Great snag @ £25 though! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• NeilNeil Frets: 3620
    Thanks for all the info Gents, I'll pass it on. :)

As usual this forum is a fount of knowledge.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    I guess it's possible it could be a Fenton-Weill guitar of some description. It doesn't look exactly like any of the models I know of, but apparently they bought in Eastern European bodies and fitted Burns pickups to them.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Certainly now searching on Google found more Dallas guitars with the trem and it would seem built by Fenton and possibly the pickups were from Burns. Hmm interesting not heard back from my friend yet he worked in London back in the early 60's through that era. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2017
    Found the vibrato donor:

I LOVE that, seriously. How much are they and how rare are they?
  • Neil said:

He thinks there is a chance it is home made as the jack socket is smaller than usual, about 3/16" and he heard tell that people used to use telephone exchange jacks/sockets in the past.

Just to elaborate on that point - Switchcraft started in business manufacturing jack sockets and connectors for the booming telephone industry at the time, before Leo Fender approached them with regards to using their jack sockets in his guitars...they've been industry standard ever since.

Enough of the history lesson, that is a sweet deal at £25 all in. 
    Jack_ said:
    I LOVE that, seriously. How much are they and how rare are they?
    Not quite as rare or expensive as some would have you believe...they turn up fairly frequently. A friend sold one not long ago - wasn't too pricey, IIRC. I'll ask him.

Personally, I also like this kind of stuff (similar vintage):

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Jack_ ; The last Dallas Tuxedo he sold was £300.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    @HarrySeven are many examples still playable or just museum pieces?
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I'm also thinking home build, I'm no expert but every guitar I've encountered with hardware of that ilk sports a usually clunky bolt on neck.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I'm also thinking home build, I'm no expert but every guitar I've encountered with hardware of that ilk sports a usually clunky bolt on neck.
    The original Burns Sonic had a similarly clunky set neck, although slightly less crudely shaped. (But not much!) This might have been copied from one.

https://gbmedia.azureedge.net/usercontent/gear/3424313/p4_uvseebor4_ss.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    I have seen some things like Fenton Weill's with similarly chunky neck joins and crude construction.  That seems almost possible

cheaper Gretshes like corvettes can be pretty crude like that too.  Clearly not one of those though

i used to have a Dallas Scala amp.   Great sounding little thing and I wish I had kept it.