Going rate PRS...

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960

What would be the going rate just now for a good condition 2008 PRS custom 22?

Birds nice top ...not a 10

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    1200-1400.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    And the same a set above but a 10 top?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    A 10-top might add £100, if it's a nice one. 
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I'd say £1200. No way £1400. There was a time a couple of years ago where they could be had for just over a grand. Prices have risen slightly on these shores but not by much. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2017
    Pretty sure I've seen really good non 10 tops at £1400, there are some non 10's out there that ought to be 10's, but I don't know enough about the criteria and exclusivity.

Older models that have birds and a nice top tend to go for a tiny bit less than newer ones.

I'd pay 1400 all day long for a non 10 if it was in a lovely purple/amethyst based colour or blue matteo.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    £1600 to 1800 for limited run 10 tops in tiger stripe and desirable colours
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    If they are newer with 57/08, 59/09 etc pickups and blade switches they seem to be worth a bit more than Dragon 2 or HFS/VB equiped guitars.

I'd expect to find a good 2008 for £1100 to £1200
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Elwood said:
    If they are newer with 57/08, 59/09 etc pickups and blade switches they seem to be worth a bit more than Dragon 2 or HFS/VB equiped guitars.

I'd expect to find a good 2008 for £1100 to £1200
    You might expect it but I think you'll struggle to find a good bona-fide Cu22 or Cu24 that cheap.  Two Cu22 non 10 tops on EBay currently, one at £1400, another £1485.  On Gumree, 3 Cu22's: £1450, £1650, £1499.

HFS/VB were normally fitted of course to just Cu24's rather than Cu22's.

Generally speaking Cu24's usually go for a bit more than the comparative Cu22, but prices seem to be a bit all over the place depending on where you look.  For example there are two Cu24's on Gumtree for £1300 and £1250.  

Of course asking prices and prices achieved are often quite different and it can also depends on which part of the world you're in and whether its collection only - eg prices in London tend to be higher, probably because there is greater demand.       

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    I had a custom 24 with solid rosewood neck. Had it up for sale at £1300 and someone 'bought' it but then pulled out when they saw it had a pin prick sized white mark on the top forearm contour.
    Eventually had to sell it for £1200.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5412
    You should have known better than to play it, breathe on it or even look at it if you wanted to maintain resale value. 

In seriousness, I would have thought that the rosewood neck would have actually added some value - unlike a 10-top which is virtually a sunk cost the moment you buy it. Oh well. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    Yeah, I thought it would sell for a lot more than it did. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Sold my customs 22 10top 2002 for £1200. Turned out a bedroom dealer off here bought it. He put it back up for £1395 after trying to get it for £1150 (too cheap)the next weekend. Kept reducing it and I think he probably ended up selling it for £1250ish. It's all good and well asking £1400 plus on ebay but how many actually sell for that much? I reckon you'd get one for £1200ish. I proper wanted one of these. Had it about 9 years. Payed £1200 for it back then. So got my money back. I suppose bit less of you take inflation thing into account.Dont miss it.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2377
    edited April 2017
    or a non trem one which will no doubt sell for less.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-PRS-Custom-22-Hard-Case-PRS-signed-back-plate-USA-BARGAIN-/142348674477?hash=item2124a465ad:g:UzAAAOSw4CFY8Iqo

The thing with PRS is that they have pretty much the same resale value now as they did 20 years ago. A custom used was at worst £999 and at best £1200 secondhand, yet look at the price new now. I would guess that this is a supply thing, far too many have been made where as 20 years ago they were still few in number over here. Buy new with caution, you lose a grand after a weeks ownership. Not sure if it will ever change, they need to establish their OWN signature tone and have that recorded/played by legends like the Fender's & Gibson's have.....then they might become more of a must have guitar.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    Strat54 said:
    or a non trem one which will no doubt sell for less.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-PRS-Custom-22-Hard-Case-PRS-signed-back-plate-USA-BARGAIN-/142348674477?hash=item2124a465ad:g:UzAAAOSw4CFY8Iqo

The thing with PRS is that they have pretty much the same resale value now as they did 20 years ago. A custom used was at worst £999 and at best £1200 secondhand, yet look at the price new now. I would guess that this is a supply thing, far too many have been made where as 20 years ago they were still few in number over here. Buy new with caution, you lose a grand after a weeks ownership. Not sure if it will ever change, they need to establish their OWN signature tone and have that recorded/played by legends like the Fender's & Gibson's have.....then they might become more of a must have guitar.
    +1 - I bought my 2002 Custom 24 (inc PRS case) for £850 nine years ago almost to the day.  That was a darned good price for an immaculate Cu24 with birds & zebra p/ups.  PRS' are much more readily available now, with a plethora of different models and 'Anniversary' & 'Artist' editions that have effectively flooded the market. This includes not only the SE range but also the S2 'stripped back' PRS.  The bubble had to break eventually.  And you're so right - buy new, & you lose a fortune.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)