Replacement machine heads PRS

What's Hot
I have a PRS EG4 with horrible machine heads ( I think PRS called them 'butterfly' ? ). They are a bugger to restring and I don't think PRS stuck with them for very long. Has anyone else had them, and if so, did you swap them out ? And what did you swap them out for ? I have read that Schaller M5 ( ? ) might be a straight replacement.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    Do you mean the 'wing' tuners? They were standard on PRSs from 1985 until 2002. They actually work very well, although there is a trick to it...

If you want to swap them, Schaller M6s are the same - full-size up to about 1998 I think, mini after that. If yours is the standard size and has the shared screw for the G and D tuners you need to file off the screw tabs in the same way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Once you know how to use the wing tuners they're really easy and quick to restring. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, that's what they're called - 'wing' not 'butterfly'. It's fine if you have full light and space and time, but in the dark they are difficult, and as I have never had any issues with non-locking PRS tuners then I will change them. It's a 1991 model so sounds like the M6s are what I will go for.
    Thanks.