The HEAVIEST (weight) amp you ever owned and do you still have it ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
I used to own a blonde Mesa Boogie mk1 reissue combo with the stock speaker swapped out for the EV 200  type and I defy anyone to come up with anything heavier. Despite its dimunitive size that thing was in 80 lbs territory and an absolute nightmare to transport for gigs or move around the house, it got sold.

What back breakers have you owned and do you still have them ?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    I'm sure others may come up with heavier amps, but for me it was a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2x12. Great amp, but felt too heavy carrying up and down stairs, and I go to the gym regularly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245

These weigh 98lbs each.

:)

I don't actually own them any more - I even sold the second of the two recently. Just don't need anything that big and heavy any more, even though they're the best-sounding amps I've ever owned. They were surprisingly not that hard to move either - the wheels and end handles, and the fact that they balance well and don't have any protruding knobs or other annoyances, actually makes them easier to shift - and even lift - than some amps which weigh quite a lot less.

I think the Burman Pro 2000 and the Ampeg VT-22 might be slightly heavier, although I'm not certain. They do definitely have much less hand-friendly handles and are a more awkward shape.

I know what you mean about the little Mesas seeming like they're made of depleted uranium though - they're nearly as heavy as the Trem-o-verbs, but half the size.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    Bogner Shiva, bad enough on its own, but in a bomb proof fight case... easily pushing 50 Kilos and just the wrong side of amusing weight when lifting into the boot of the car. 
    All in the noble pursuit of 'tone' :)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I had the Burman Pro 2000 for a couple of years. Great sounding amp but heavier than the moon.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    I've got a Mesa Mark IIC hardwood combo with a 15" EV in it - its ridiculously heavy - however it's in a flight case so it rolls, not that it gets a lot of use TBH.

Other than that my Diezel Herbert is about 32 Kg - again is on a 4x12 so it too rolls :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited April 2017
    ICBM said:

These weigh 98lbs each
    WTF !!

The sight of a flight of stairs to get onto a stage and having to move one of those. My mk1 at 80 lbs felt like someone had welded it to the ground
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Mk4 Boogie, heavier than a white dwarf star, bloody ridiculous 
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    A Leslie 760. The model might as well refer to its weight as it was around 70 kg. Luckily it went down a single flight of stairs only to come up again 7 months later when I sold it. 
  • My Yamaha dg80, even though it weighs in at a svelte 55lbs, is hand crushingly heavy due to it's inclusion of of one handle on the top.
    Thanks, Yamaha. Over engineer the amp, and then completely forget about ergonomic transportation. I still love it, though. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    @ICBM - man, mine is lightweight compared to yours but...

... I did own a Jim Kelley Whicker. It was stupid heavy, and stupid loud too.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Jim Kelley Reverb/P1030188.jpg
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    when it comes to heavy, usually Mesa Boogie are top of the pile, i'm sure they use antimatter in their amps.

Old Peaveys are quite weighty, i had the Renown 400 2x12, that started developing its own orbit so it had to go. The Cornford RK100 i had was pretty heavy, the transformers were huge. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6121
    tFB Trader
    My Mesa boogie mark V combo tops the charts for me. i do love it though and can't help but keep it.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24189

Each cab was 110lb
    Marshall VBC412

I used to get both into a Focus Estate, with 3 basses, 2 amp heads, a load of pedals, mics and a powered desk.
    Then it used to do about 40 mph.

But that's nothing compared to the Ampeg Pro series 810 - they were 215 lb each.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Twin Reverb.
    Sadly, no longer with me.
    You could play anywhere with that thing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245

But that's nothing compared to the Ampeg Pro series 810 - they were 215 lb each.
    Even the SVT head weighs 87lb - and needs to be lifted on to the top of the 4ft-tall cabinet…

That's actually the reason I've given up heavy amps. I now have an SVT-Micro VR, which is admittedly only 200W not the 300 of the original SVT, but it weighs 77lb *less* than an SVT too. ie if you put the little head on top of Telejester's amp and then lifted the whole thing onto the top of a fridge you will have an idea how much of a pain an SVT is.

Given that - and my approaching 50th birthday :) - I rapidly went off the idea of heavy guitar amps as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Orange Ad30TC 2x12 combo. Not the heaviest, but heavy enough (75lbs or so). Gigged it for years but wouldn't lug it around these days. 

Sold it to the Andy at Richmond Guitar Workshop where it currently sits in the front of the shop, so I can at least visit it from time to time!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited April 2017
    Once it's in it's flightcase my twin starts to feel a bit awkward weight wise.    

The worst I've owned was a Trace Elliot 4x10 combo.    I'm a big chap and quite happy lugging a fender twin around or 4x12 cabs etc but the trace was crazy - genuinely painful to try and move on my own - I sold it.   
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    My old Fender Bassman with its 4x10s was pretty hefty, definitely the heaviest amp I've owned
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I did use to play through a fully flight cased Mesa recto 4x12.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Mesa Mk.V combo
    Matchless Independence combo
    Twin Amp
    Budda SuperDrive 80 combo

theyre all beasts but the winner has to be the Peavey 6505 212 at 84.5lbs. 

Still got them all. 

I likes me 212's.