Epiphone "unsung" factory guitars . Anyone got any info ?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
i'm after a decent backup / touring guitar for my les Paul custom , and I've found an epiphone 97 les Paul custom . Normally I wouldn't look at epi's , but the guy reckons the unsung factory ones are great .

anyone any info on this ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I can't see why they'd be better than a good example made in any factory, in any country in the world. The internet is full of these stories about legendary guitars, from legendary factories, built between certain years. I'd try the guitar, if possible, and judge it on what your hands, eyes and ears tell you. 
    Then again, maybe that particular internet story is true.. I honestly don't know. I'd take it with a pinch of salt, anyway. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Overused buzzword, see Peerless, Korean and Samick for more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Don't know why you wouldn't normally look at Epiphones.
    Best judge it on it's own merit.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Sassafras said:
    The headstock hurts my eyes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 289
    I agree with @usedtobe comments I would try some different Epiphone models, ideally through your own amp and at both gig and home volumes and judge by your ears and playability. I've found the Custom Shop and Pro models are good. It may also worth looking at secondhand as there are usually plenty of Epiphones for sale.
  • From my point of view I have tried different customs best I've had that are not Gibson are Greco and Tokais. Now the Japanese ones are great. But I had a Korean one thar was killer and didn't cost the earth. 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• whats the hate with epiphone headstocks?  i suspect snobbery in that its the only visual clue that its not a gibson?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    whats the hate with epiphone headstocks?  i suspect snobbery in that its the only visual clue that its not a gibson?

I suspect it's purely because it's freaking ugly and looks about 4 inches too long, like there's a whole piece of wood going begging where a slide holder or even a small book shelf should be. This is coming from someone who really likes Epiphone guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    whats the hate with epiphone headstocks?  i suspect snobbery in that its the only visual clue that its not a gibson?
    It's more that it just jars the eyes - those body shapes are so imprinted on me with their associated headstock that anything else looks odd, and the Epi one is also just pretty ugly in its own right. 

Fender/Squier and PRS/PRS SE don't do  it, probably for this reason 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I don't think it's snobbery. It certainly isn't on my part. Owned an epi sg, and an epi acoustic. In fact, I quite like the epi acoustic headstock, which is even longer! 
    There are more embarrassing guitars than epi's, for sure!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TimmyO said:
    It's more that it just jars the eyes - those body shapes are so imprinted on me with their associated headstock that anything else looks odd, and the Epi one is also just pretty ugly in its own right. 

Fender/Squier and PRS/PRS SE don't do  it, probably for this reason 
    I dont think its ugly, its just different. and i have a gibson but if i needed another les paul backup id consider an epi and not worry about the headstock
    It's funny how people hate the Epiphone headstock and yet the D'Angelico one gets heaps of praise. It's hideous:

Image result for dangelico guitar headstock
    Here's another monstrosity:

Image result for Benedetto Headstock
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    i'm after a decent backup / touring guitar for my les Paul custom , and I've found an epiphone 97 les Paul custom . Normally I wouldn't look at epi's , but the guy reckons the unsung factory ones are great .

Why not an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro?

I've got one and its excellent. Mine cost me brand new £350.

I have a Gibson studio faded as well and the Epi doesn't sound much different, plays almost as well and has more options with coil splits.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344

I have a Gibson studio faded as well and the Epi doesn't sound much different, plays almost as well and has more options with coil splits.
    Thanks , I'll keep my eye open .
    i recently had an epiphone les Paul tribute , I was impressed with how good quality it was .
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

Thanks , I'll keep my eye open .
    i recently had an epiphone les Paul tribute , I was impressed with how good quality it was .

They are excellent guitars, in had one of them (had to sell to retrospectively pay for my vermilion) and it was a great Les Paul, not just for the money, just generally great.
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309

Unsung is a decent factory for Epis, I've got one of their SG Customs and it is absolutely outstanding - great quality wood and finishing, awesome thin and flat neck profile with big frets so very playable. Electronics and hardware are ok, but a bit of a pickup change did wonders - playability is amazing though, it has a ridiculously low action with no buzz whatsoever. 

I've got an 05 Unsung LP Custom in black arriving this week so I can give you more specific LP information after that!
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    jdbwales said:

Unsung is a decent factory for Epis, I've got one of their SG Customs and it is absolutely outstanding - great quality wood and finishing, awesome thin and flat neck profile with big frets so very playable. Electronics and hardware are ok, but a bit of a pickup change did wonders - playability is amazing though, it has a ridiculously low action with no buzz whatsoever. 

I've got an 05 Unsung LP Custom in black arriving this week so I can give you more specific LP information after that!
    Please do ! You're in a similar situation to me where we both gave awesome Gibson LP customs that we struggle to find backups for !
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    If the headstock on an Epi is a problem, get someone to alter it for you. I don't see it as a big factor, if the guitar is a good one, it is a good one.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Jack_ said:
    Sassafras said:
    The headstock hurts my eyes.
    yes, but on the semis it kinda works...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>