Roland Live pad samples for backing?

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So our drummer has got himself a new Roland spd-sx.  My thought for it is to use his manual trigger for additional keyboards for songs like Sex On Fire, You Give Love a Bad name, the trumpets on Valerie etc. Is there anywhere where you can get these ready made or similar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I've got loads I made myself which I trigger with my feet on my SPD  ..... I trigger the brass on Valerie, a halo for SOF  ..... I've also got parts in my SPD for 

Human - Rag & Bone man
    Long Train runing
    Purple Rain
    You sexy thing
    Whisky in the Jar
    Where the streets have no name
    Never too much
    Superstition
    Every Breath you take
    You ought to know
    Express yourself
    Le Freake
    Use Somebody
    Money for nothing
    Dead or Alive

And loads more, if you want something specific I'll play it on my Triton and upload the wavs so you can load it into the SPD

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Mate, defo interested in Valerie & Use somebody!Not sure what you mean by Halo but whatever you have, Id love to have!
    Ok will sort some out and post download link here, do you pay in standard tuning or semitone  down ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Nearly all our stuff is standard tuned with one or two tracks in a different key.. Our set is:

Shut Up and Dance With Me
    One Way or Another
    Valerie
    Are you gunna be my girl?

You got the love

Price tag
    This Love
    Do you love me
    Jail House Rock
    Twist and Shout
    Tail Feather
    Want you to want me 
    Use Somebody
    Castle on the hill
    Locked Out Of Heaven
    Happy
    Get Lucky
    Love Machine
    Trouble – F
    Summer of 69
    Who knew?
    Beat It
    Back in black
    Crazy Little Thing
    You Give Love A Bad Name
    Ghost
    Sex On Fire 
    Thank you btw @Danny1969 ; =)

Ok cool I'm giging this afternoon but will sort some stuff soon
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    No dramas :) 
    Any luck @Danny1969 ;
    I'll do it today, couldn't just give you what I have as my are all a semitone down as the bands I play with tune down to help with the vocals

I'm assuming your not playing to a click so these will be non time dependent samples, your drummer just needs to hit them and stop them at the right moments the same as a keyboard player will hit a key at the right moment. 
    If you do want a sequence triggered then I can do that but your drummer would then have to play to a click track to be in time with the triggered sequence

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    You legend :) 
    Ok here's some for Valerie, Pricetag, Usesomebody and Locked out of heaven. 

This is a simple brass parts I trigger on Valerie .... on the "Since you've come on home" part ... it's basically trumpets in 3rd's

This one first www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Valerie-brasss-c.wav

Then http://www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Valeria-Bb.wav

Then repeat 3 times and then this last one 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Valerie-brass-D.wav

Then for the chorus you play the brass part on guitar as that is time dependent  and trigger these string parts underneath which aren't

http://www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Valerie-Ebmaj7-String.wav is the first chord

Then this one 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Valerie-Fm7-strings.wav 

Now Pricetag is just the same 4 chords which are 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Pricetag-F.wav 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Pricetag-Am.wav 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Pricetag-Dm.wav 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Pricetag-Bb.wav 

All the drummers got to do is hit the pad at the end of every 2 bars

Here's a Halo I use behind the verse and chorus of Use Somebody ... it's subtle but adds something 

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/use-halo.wav 

And for the middle eight, the " I'm ready now"  part I trigger these 2 notes 

The A note www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Use-Somebody-Mid%208-A%20.wav
    And F# note http://www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Use-Somebody-mid8.wav

To thicken up Locked out of heavens pre chorus and chorus I trigger a fat synth

Big F  

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Locked-out-F.wav

Then the A 
    www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Locked-Out-A.wav

The you make me feels like Bb

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Locked-Out-Bb.wav

Gm

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Locked-out-g.wav

F

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk/Locked-out-F.wav

And C

www.thesuperheroesonline.co.uk//Locked-out-C.wav

These are all simple and subtle parts designed to thicken up a one guitar band without it being too obvious ... obviously if the drummer is happy on a click then he can trigger all kinds of parts that are time dependent 

A tip for using the SPD is to set all pads to the same mute group ... that way hitting one pad cancels out the previous one. 
    Set the last pad to nothing and that is the stop pad to end any sample playing  if the wrong pad is hit at the wrong time

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Danny1969 said:

These are all simple and subtle parts designed to thicken up a one guitar band without it being too obvious ... obviously if the drummer is happy on a click then he can trigger all kinds of parts that are time dependent

I think these are really good ideas and I've wanted to do this sort of thing for ages -- can definitely see the utility especially as we're a four piece V G B D. 
    As it happens one of our previous drummers gave me his old sample trigger pad (Alesis) however the idea was met with a bit of resistance from our current drummer, I might have "sold" it wrong, (and I wasn't gonna push it cos he's a top bloke and it's his call). 
    I've possibly asked you this before @Danny1969 but how are you triggering the samples if you're playing guitar?
    @Grunfeld ;

I use my feet mate .... Here's my mission control position for one band where I'm the only guitarist (and sound man) 

Here's an example showing me mucking about with the pad .... you wouldn't go to this extreme live though ;)

Nothing against drummers but I think it's better if someone who knows the notes \ chords etc triggers things because you then know what works and what little cheats you can do ....... for example if there's a change of chord from a major to relative minor or visa versa you can record in 2 notes and the bass changing the root along with the ample fools the mind into thinking the sample has changed. Or you get a request for Human \ Rag & Bone man ... gonna do it in Bm ... you haven't done  any samples for it yet but you know there's a Bm and G  (don't need an EM ... use the relative minor trick ) in the patch you made for Streets have no name .... stuff like that your average drummer isn't gonna know

Here's another example in actual live use .... excuse my shitty guitar playing I was pretty much bluffing this number

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Danny1969 said:
    @Grunfeld ;

I use my feet mate ....
    Nothing against drummers but I think it's better if someone who knows the notes \ chords etc triggers things because you then know what works and what little cheats you can do .......

Okay that makes a lot of sense.  I don't think my Alesis freebie is as solid as the Roland, and it's more limited technically, but it will be okay for proof of concept to see if it works.  Time to practise! :)
    Very nice clips btw.  And as it happens I really liked that Vandross performance -- nailed the guitar sound really well.