Annoying Noise through Studio Monitors

What's Hot
Hi, I have this weird noise that I get through my Presonus Eris E4.5 when I have my Zoom G5 and my Headphones plugged in at the same time and when the G5 is turned off.

I basically have it set up so that my PC goes to the main input of the monitors, and then I have the G5 plugged into the AUX in on the front with my headphones plugged in as well.

It sounds like a weird sort of creaking noise, but goes away when I turn on the Zoom. 

It's not really a problem, but sort of annoying when I have to unplug the Zoom.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Very odd.....you got any dimmers in the house?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Unplug everything and plug each device in (power and audio) one by one until you work out what is causing it.

Dimmers are often the cause of weird noises, but that noise doesn't usually go away when turning on another device.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    spark240 said:
    Very odd.....you got any dimmers in the house?

octatonic said:
    Unplug everything and plug each device in (power and audio) one by one until you work out what is causing it.

Dimmers are often the cause of weird noises, but that noise doesn't usually go away when turning on another device.

I do have a dimmer, but it's broken and doesn't dim anything anymore, could that still make a difference.

To be honest, I'm not fully sure if it goes away when I turn it on, it probably just gets drowned out.
    Yes it can still make a noise through the mains,...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    spark240 said:
    Yes it can still make a noise through the mains,...
    Yup.
    I took dimmers out of my studio room when we moved in.
    Even the dimmer up full was creating noise.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    This may not be the cause of your issue but, to avoid noise, powered monitors are best driven via balanced cables. I see your monitors have balanced TRS inputs. However, you also need a balanced output from your computer, which a dedicated audio interface should provide, but not a simple 'headphone like' output from your computer.
    It's not a competition.
    This may not be the cause of your issue but, to avoid noise, powered monitors are best driven via balanced cables. I see your monitors have balanced TRS inputs. However, you also need a balanced output from your computer, which a dedicated audio interface should provide, but not a simple 'headphone like' output from your computer.

I have a balanced out from my Sound Card, my Zoom has a balanced XLR out but I don't have anything to plug it into. 
    edited April 2017

I have a balanced out from my Sound Card, my Zoom has a balanced XLR out but I don't have anything to plug it into. 
    The spec on the Presonus Eris E4.5 monitors states that they have 1/4" balanced TRS inputs. So the connector on the lead that you plug into each monitor will basically look like a stereo 1/4 jack.
    It's not a competition.

The spec on the Presonus Eris E4.5 monitors states that they have 1/4" balanced TRS inputs. So the connector on the lead that you plug into each monitor will basically look like a stereo 1/4 jack.

Yes, that's what I have from my PC sound card, my Zoom has TRS Out but it's unbalanced. 
    OK, sorry it looks like that's not an option from the Zoom G5 because it only has one balanced XLR output (in effect mono) and you'd need two to drive stereo monitors.

Anyway it might not be the cause of your issue. I'm just guessing based on the fact that I've had problems in the past with whining monitors when I didn't use balanced connections.
    It's not a competition.
    Dude...turn off the circuit breaker in the fuse board feeding the lighting circuits and see if it goes away, do you have any table lamps etc plugged in anywhere with dimmers on or suchlike?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    No, it's just the ceiling lights in this room and the room next to it. All the other lights are simple switches.