Henries pickup measurements - Tele neck CS Nocaster and Twisted Tele

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
I'm a bit confuzed. I wanted a brighter, stratty tele neck pickup, and everyone more or less recommended the Twisted Tele. So far so good. After some more digging on the forums I came across a few articles on pickup output reading, high/low output, etc. But, a few of the pieces said that the Henries measurement was a much better reading to go by to determine how a pickup is voiced  -  brightness, mids or bass. 

So I compare the Henries reading on the Twisted Tele with a CS Nocaster neck pu I already have - Twisted is 4.3 and the Nocaster is 2.3. If I'm not mistaken, the higher the henries reading indicate more lows, mids and bass. Based on these readings the Nocaster pu should have more chime and brightness??

Anyone shed some light on this?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Henries is a level of output. Tone is generally derived from the distributed capacitance, output and magnetic field strength/shape. A uncovered Tele neck is 60% of the way there because the cover removes a ton of bass by capacitance.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    But how does it sound?
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Sassafras said:
    But how does it sound?
    I've had both pickups in different bodies, through different amps, so difficult to compare. I have a different amp now and I've just done a new build so wanted a few opinions before i wire one of them up. 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Zoolooter said:
    Sassafras said:
    But how does it sound?
    I've had both pickups in different bodies, through different amps, so difficult to compare. I have a different amp now and I've just done a new build so wanted a few opinions before i wire one of them up. 
    Twisted uses longer alnico rods (stronger magnetic field) and wider wire (less capacitance).
    Presumably the extra volume of wire on it adds a bit of inductance too, but then the addition is on the bottom of the pickup where there won't be a whole lot of output, so perhaps it's negligible.  
    The increased inductance seems a lot more than I'd put down to those two factors alone though, I'd imagine the wind is probably hotter too.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk