Best strings for strat?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
edited April 2017 in Guitar
I've used GHS Burnished Nickels on my strat for a while, since they give a nice warm, vintage tone (roundwound, pure nickel). However, I'm currently playing a couple of songs which need a surfy sound, so i need something with a bit more clang on the wound strings. I tried some GHS Boomers recently, but they seemed savagely bright. Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Ghs boomers are the ones I'd have suggested. They are nice and twangy and perhaps a smidgeon brighter than eg D'addarios but isn't that exactly what you want for surf sound?  Other than Boomers, then I'd suggest D'addarios.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Strings are strings. A touch of the Eric Johnsons here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    edited April 2017
    @Voxman So you rate Boomers higher than D'addario? Why so?
    edited April 2017
    Lebarque said:
    @Voxman So you rate Boomers higher than D'addario? Why so?
    No, I usually use Dadds EXL120's (9-42) on all my electric guitars but I do like ghs boomers on my 69 strat as they seem to bring out a little extra something from the 69 pups. Boomers are a little brighter and janglier and stay so for a bit longer, so good for surf, shadows, U2 tones etc with a strat or tele. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have D'addario 9-46s on all of mine.  Works just fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    If you're changing strings for the purpose of sounding surfier, you've got to go heavy on the wound strings. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Stay away from nylon strings. They sound better on a classical guitar.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    D'Addario are great for Strats ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Go for a heavy gauge and try Pure Nickel strings, maybe even with a Wound G. 
    edited April 2017
    bbill335 said:
    If you're changing strings for the purpose of sounding surfier, you've got to go heavy on the wound strings. 
    I concur, you really need thicker gauge wound strings for that true 'Surf' twang & for true 'Surf' tones flat wound are favoured as the strings to go for because they are mellower and reduce 'slide' noise when moving around the fretboard.  

The Beach boys are arguably the most famous 'surf sound' but Brian Wilson often used Baritone guitars in their arrangements so regardless of string gauge you'll struggle to get that tone without a baritone guitar.  The Fender Jazzmaster and the shorter scale Jaguar (which is twangier) are arguably the best known guitars for Surf sound, although standard single-coil Strats are OK. There were other famous surf groups that used some lesser known guitars - IIRC I think the Ventures used Mosrite guitars?

Effects wise, you do of course need that big Fender Reverb sound for surf - and using the right reverb is arguably way more important than your string gauge!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    For that true 'surf sound' accept no substitute:

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    I know it's not a gauge question but i got some ghs nickel rockers 9.5- 48 and love 'em. I wanted easier bending on the highs
    & by mistake ordered the set the set with 048 bottom E instead of 046. Anyway i like the fatness of the bottom end & bendy ness of the top. I do have twang orientations. They're good.
    Master of surf himself 'Dickie D' was brutal with his strumming hand and went as far as 18's for top E so god knows what cables he was using on the bottom. (so i read) His tone on the jools holland show playing miserlou is however epic.
    axisus said:
    Strings are strings. A touch of the Eric Johnsons here.
    You haven't got the hang of this place yet, have you? :0)
    Thanks all for the responses. I'll give D'addario a try again i guess. Anyone tried Curt Mangan?
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Lebarque said:
    Thanks all for the responses. I'll give D'addario a try again i guess. Anyone tried Curt Mangan?
    I very much like Curt Mangans followed by D'addarios
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    It's a personal choice but I like fender strings on my strat. Not so keen on them for some guitars but I like to suit guitars to brands and gauges. 
    ESBlonde said:
    It's a personal choice but I like fender strings on my strat. Not so keen on them for some guitars but I like to suit guitars to brands and gauges. 
    I tried Fender Bullets on my 69 Strat over 35 yrs ago. Bought 3 sets...a B broke at the bullet end with one set and same place on the E on the other set...within 4 days!!  After that never used Fender strings ever again and switched to Picato strings that came in a nice plastic tub! 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    +1 for Curt Mangans but i dont have a strat so usual irrelevance from me