'83 Telecaster Elite

What's Hot
HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
Well, I've fancied a Telecaster Elite for some time, but something tells me this might not be the one...

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    Slightly off-topic - a friend of mine who has over 75 guitars (his collection was featured in G&B a few years ago) reckons his Elite Tele is the heaviest guitar he's ever owned. Given that he has a couple of Norlin era Les Pauls, that's quite a claim.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    Solid maple with the brass bridge, that one? 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8028
    edited April 2017

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Never seen one of those before, it's lovely.
  • Shark_EyesShark_Eyes Frets: 377
    edited April 2017
    That's a great looking guitar, I've only ever seen the strat variant.

And now I want this:

http://davesguitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/E317132B.jpg
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    There seems to be some kind of collective delusion in this thread…

They are awful things - always were, and still are. Heavy, toneless and hideous.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @ICBM Yeah, but they look so cool.
    @ICBM Yeah, but they look so cool.
    There's a catchphrase from a well-known budget opticians in there somewhere...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

They are awful things - always were, and still are. Heavy, toneless and hideous.

But, as @Shark_Eyes said...they look uber-cool...and (IMHO, anyway), I thought the necks on these were great. :)

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Well, I've fancied a Telecaster Elite for some time, but something tells me this might not be the one...
    Looks like the body's made of Angel Delight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    scrumhalf said:
    It is!

scrumhalf said:

If Angel Delight was made from fine-textured beige concrete...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I sense some deep seated hatred from @ICBM on this topic.  ;)

Personally I will probably never play one, after playing a few plastic Supro's and finding them horrendous, I'll leave some guitars in my imagination.
    I sense some deep seated hatred from @ICBM on this topic.  ;)
    It's true, I think they're utterly horrible in every way :).

Personally I will probably never play one, after playing a few plastic Supro's and finding them horrendous, I'll leave some guitars in my imagination.
    I'm about to enjoy this experience too, since a friend has just bought one and wants it 'looked at'… but at least they look cooler than a Fender Elite!

@ICBM put some pictures up if you get a chance.
    @ICBM put some pictures up if you get a chance.
    I might, since there's some question as to what it actually is! It doesn't appear to correspond exactly to any known model. But I will wait until I see it in person...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I think I played one once and thought it was shit.

And I'd rather look at Lord Sugar's anus.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • matonematone Frets: 211
    ICBM said:

Yep,there`s a good reason for their scarcity !
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Dave Davies used to use one a lot.

But I'd agree with @ICBM about them being not one of Fender's finest moments. They are a little 'directionless' - I mean what were Fender thinking? The pickups aren't great clean (acceptable, not stellar) and they are pretty ghastly with low gain tones - smother them in masses of da krushin gain toanz and they are... well, a bit meh. As mentioned, they make 1970s Fenders and Gibsons look like Weight Watchers specials. The two I've played had "OK" necks but not exceptional.

I like the knobs - there you go, I've found a positive. But I prefer them on Strats... and not Elite Strats either, as they are pretty nasty too.

Harry, mate, if that's what you like then all power to you, fella. But for most, they aren't forgotten gems from Fenders past that need rediscovering.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Sounds, weight, playability etc are all of little importance when choosing a guitar; if it looks good, it is good, simple.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom