NAD: Marshall Mini Jubilee

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962

Picked up this little beast in a trade yesterday. 

First thoughts are: Fantastic small amp that doesn't sound like a small amp! Its light and compact but really pushes a lot of air once you wind it up. It doesn't really do cleans (that may be my pickups!). I've got the TC Flashback X4 (another recent acquisition ) set up in the loop and it pretty much covers all the tones i need. Its one of the only Marshall i've ever owned where the sweep of the knobs actually does something and even small changes at low volume are very noticeable. Its perhaps a bit sizzly in the top end, but i plan on changing the speaker out to a Neo Creamback anyway, then the amp will be lighter than a helium filled balloon.

Just need some new pickups now........
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    But does it sound as good as the Bandit?

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    But does it sound as good as the Bandit?

:)
    Thats not a bandit! Its a prowler! I think its the exact same cab though!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    Nice looking rig
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    timmysoft said:

Aha :). I suppose the real question is whether the Prowler sounds as good as the Bandit ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:

Aha :). I suppose the real question is whether the Prowler sounds as good as the Bandit ;).
    Coming from a bandit fanboi, yes it does! Everything that a bandit does and a little bit more (and more weight)

I did have the Jube and the Prowler hooked up together for a brief time, the windows in my house were rattling so hard!
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    edited April 2017
    Very nice.   One day I'll get around to comparing the new ones to my old one - from the clips I've heard they sound like great little amps.  
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Looks great, can't wait to get my hands on one of these! 
    John_P said:
    Very nice.   One day I'll get around to comparing the new ones to my old one - from the clips I've heard they sound like great little amps.  
    The originals are amongst the few Marshalls i've never had a chance to play through.

TTBZ said:
    Now they're starting to come up used they're a pretty good buy, i think nearly £1000 is a lot for a 20w amp, but when they're coming up for £500-£600, they're worth that all day long. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I have been gigging mine (head version) for a few months now and it is magnificent. I will probably grab a combo version when one comes up for sale at a reasonable price.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Same here. I've had my head and 2x12 for around 12 months and it's been utterly superb.  Rhythm channel with clip activated for rhythm and "Lead" for leads, just as Marshal intended.  I run it around half on the volume and I get a proper volume jump when switching to lead, which is something many amps don't or can't do properly.  The EQ makes a huge difference and you can really shape your sound.

I'm really surprised it's not raved about more.  It's the perfect pub gigging rock amp  :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    It is the perfect pub gig amp.... it's just too dam expensive :(

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited April 2017
    Really?  A used combo at £750ish or used head around £600 doesn't sound crazy to me.  I paid £1200 for my head and matching cab brand new and it came with a 2 year warranty extended to 3 years by registering it with Marshall.

For comparison, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (probably the world's most popular gigging amp!) is £765 new.  The Marshall 2525C is £939.  Not a million miles away IMHO.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited April 2017
    There is a new (ex demo) combo for £799 at fairdealmusic.co.uk as well which is not too bad really.

Oh and Dibs by the way @timmysoft  :)

Just dropped the Celestion Creamback Neo into the Mini Jube, OH MY WORD! 

Best modern Marshall tone i've ever heard and i've owned, heard and played through a lot of the modern ones. 
  • timmysoft said:

Best modern Marshall tone i've ever heard and i've owned, heard and played through a lot of the modern ones. 

That speaker is getting excellent reviews. 

Not seen a mini Jube yet, but it's a good looking amp at least! Have you got any gigs coming up? 
    timmysoft said:

That speaker is getting excellent reviews. 

Not seen a mini Jube yet, but it's a good looking amp at least! Have you got any gigs coming up? 
    I'm not gigging at the moment, concentrating on writing and recording really!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11564
    tFB Trader
    timmysoft said:

TTBZ said:
    Now they're starting to come up used they're a pretty good buy, i think nearly £1000 is a lot for a 20w amp, but when they're coming up for £500-£600, they're worth that all day long. 
    It's kind of funny how we still evaluate an amp's worth by £££ per watt, when if we had a 100w amp we wouldn't be able to use those extra watts (no matter what the price) and at least with a lower wattage version you can get the sound you seek without volume that would have you evicted.
    Building a 20w tube amp isn't that much cheaper than making a 50w or 100w for the most part.
    Also - very pleased that they used EL34s on this, and at 20w they should last well

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited April 2017
    I had a good play on the mini jubilee combo today and it's bloody awesome. I couldn't get a good sound out of the rhythm clip mode though (just seems quiet and thin) but lead channel was so good, pure Marshall. I then went on to play the full size jube and a JCM800 100w and the combo definitely held its own. Not quite as raw or punchy as the 800 but I'd like to try the jubilee head through the same cab. Really awesome amp and filled the big room I was playing in. Better than the 900 I tried afterwards.
    Try bass and mids on full then adjust the treble/presence to taste.  Really thickens up the tone.

I use rhythm clip live with lead for leads, works a treat.
    I'm not a big fan of the clip either, it'll be usable in a recording environment, but i doubt i'll use it much.

The combo's do suffer with a bit of rattle, but i cured mine by putting a rubber gasket around the top of the amp chassis. 

Twinfan said:
    Try bass and mids on full then adjust the treble/presence to taste.  Really thickens up the tone.

I use rhythm clip live with lead for leads, works a treat.
    Not sure about the mids up full, i find it sounds a bit boxy with the mids cranked, i keep them under half way.