Marshall Lead 12 - what?!

What's Hot
clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
Wanted to check out some pedal order options last night and my DSL is currently up on the blocks, so I plugged into my old Lead 12 combo, which has seen service only as a footstool for donkeys years.

Yep, just like I remembered, all trebly and solid state-y.  

I set treble and bass to zero, maxed the mids, gain at 3 o'clock,  plugged in an SD-1 set to max level no gain, and, fuck me, nice!

There's a point on the gain control about 3 o'clock, it basically does nothing before that then this snarl kicks in, really cool, and plenty loud for home use :)

It'll be back to being a footstool soon but it's going to get cleaned up, such a brilliant thing to have around :) Next up mod it for an external speaker jack :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    They are great. Even better with a boost in front.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Yep, that's how I was using the SD-1, will have to experiment with a couple of other options at some point, like a GE-7, or the Guvnor 2.  Hell I have a Jackhammer on the shelf as well, hmmm :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    clarkefan said:

I set treble and bass to zero, maxed the mids, gain at 3 o'clock,  plugged in an SD-1 set to max level no gain, and, fuck me, nice!
    Try turning the bass up full, the treble off and use the middle control to find the sweet spot - fuller sounding than turning the bass off.

They do need a much better speaker to get the best out of them too, it has to be said. You can actually get a 12" into the original cabinet if you're prepared to do a bit of woodwork, but a speaker jack means you can run it through a 4x12" :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Ok cool thanks, I didn't spend a lot of time on it cos it was just for a test, but I'll give your settings a go next time :)

Interesting a 12" would fit in there, you wouldn't think that looking at it, but the speaker jack has to be a runner, I sort of can't believe it sounded that good with the tiny Celestion in there.  Through the 1936 2x12 should be fun :)

Ahh you have thinking now, I've got a couple of unused 12s on the shelf :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    They really are very good amps.
    The 12" does fit if it's the original 'tall' Lead 12 with the 10" speaker - not if it's the later 'short' one with the 8". You can either take the baffle out and re-cut it (or make a new one), or just screw the bigger speaker over the top of the 10" hole, which works surprisingly well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    i have broken one here that i should really get fixed up!
    ICBM said:
    The 12" does fit if it's the original 'tall' Lead 12 with the 10" speaker - not if it's the later 'short' one with the 8". You can either take the baffle out and re-cut it (or make a new one), or just screw the bigger speaker over the top of the 10" hole, which works surprisingly well.
    Had a proper look and of course you're correct, there's definitely room in there for a 12.  Tempting... :)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited April 2017
    Johan S has done a couple of demos of these. They sound pretty damn good for such a small and cheap amp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5IaYOvmjQ
    They aren't actually cheap, if you look inside - top-quality components throughout and the same basic chassis and board quality as a JCM800 valve amp. I've seen weedier power transistors in some 100W amps too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    That's pretty cool :)  I have to put that speaker jack in, hear it through a proper cab, it can only be better than the 10" Celestion in what looks like a chipboard open backed box :)

Wonder how loud it gets? :)
    Through a 4x12", loud enough to gig with.

Unless it's a very late 'tall' one - and even then I don't think so - the cabinet shell and baffle are ply and the back panels are MDF… I think the first use of MDF in a Marshall, so it's not all good ;). I suspect the 'short' ones are all-MDF, but I can't remember for sure.

ICBM said:
    Through a 4x12", loud enough to gig with.
    You are joking???
    Wellll… maybe it depends on the gig. You're not going to be playing Download with one I don't think - even with two 4x12"s :).

But it should comfortably handle the average pub gig where you want a typical 'Marshall sound' - ie not too fussy about a lot of clean headroom.

Speaker efficiency is actually as important as amp power to final volume - maybe more. The stock speaker can't be any more than about 93-94dB I don't think - which means that if you plug the same amp section into a 4x12" with four V30s (100dB each, the total in a 4x12" will probably be about 103-104dB), that's literally the same as multiplying the amp power by a factor of 10. Obviously it still won't be even close to as loud as a 100W amp through the same 4x12", which will be around another 10dB louder again, but a cranked 100-watter through a 4x12" is almost unusably loud for any gig these days.

I'm very surprised, thanks @ICBM, I don't think I've fully appreciated the db difference in speakers before,  I'm looking forward to hearing this little box properly now :)
  • Any suggestions about how to cleanly do the speaker jack socket mod? I keep thinking about doing it on my Lead 20 but am in two minds how to go about it: drill the chassis for a socket or make a little breakout box connected to the current speaker cable, with a speaker socket on it.
    Drill the chassis out where the wires currently go through the cable hole on the bottom. From memory it doesn't need to be opened out much.

Use a plastic 'Marshall style' Cliff jack so you don't cause a potential ground loop.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader
    I had it done to my old Lead 12 and used it as a rack mounted head in the workshop for years. Think I sold it to someone on here in the end.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I was thinking I'd use the existing Line Out socket, save drilling?
  • ICBM said:
    Drill the chassis out where the wires currently go through the cable hole on the bottom. From memory it doesn't need to be opened out much.

Use a plastic 'Marshall style' Cliff jack so you don't cause a potential ground loop.
    Thx for the tips.  I'll have to pull the chassis out and take a look.