The Blue Nile anyone-

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited April 2017
    Yes - love them, love them, love them! Heard this when it first went out around Christmas - actually found it rather depressing. In spite of Paul Buchanan and P J Moore's involvement, they are pretty much estranged now - which seems very sad, given the length of their relationship and what they created together.

PJ has been Tweeting about this extensively today - let's hope a rapprochement is on the cards.... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    oops - sorry - meant to put this in OT section - ho hum.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    'Hats' is a great late night record with whisky in hand. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Bloody adore the Blue Nile, greatest band ever to have come out of Scotland.
    Their second album "Hats" is a master piece
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the Blue Nile are one of the great lesser known bands, hardly prolific but it's mostly top quality and would suggest everyone should give them a listen especially hats, which is in my top three albums ever.
    I think the Blue Nile are one of the great lesser known bands, hardly prolific but it's mostly top quality and would suggest everyone should give them a listen especially hats, which is in my top three albums ever.
    And A Walk Across The Rooftops....
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    Ah - I remember them from my Linn Sondek days (actually, the deck and the albums are up in my loft somewhere).
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    'Hats' is a great late night record with whisky in hand. 
    Ahh, that's why I don't like it, no whisky!
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Hats has to be my favourite get drunk and maudlin album (usually about 3am). I loved Paul' solo record of about 5 years ago, a real late night "leave me the #### alone listen,

As an aside,  I was walking down Byres Rd (West End Glasgow) about 6 years ago with my then partner.  She came to a reminiscence about how she always used to bump into Paul at a certain place, and within two minutes we bumped into Paul, somethings must be fixed in this universe :)
    edited April 2017
    artiebear said:
    Hats has to be my favourite get drunk and maudlin album (usually about 3am). I loved Paul' solo record of about 5 years ago, a real late night "leave me the #### alone listen,

As an aside,  I was walking down Byres Rd (West End Glasgow) about 6 years ago with my then partner.  She came to a reminiscence about how she always used to bump into Paul at a certain place, and within two minutes we bumped into Paul, somethings must be fixed in this universe
    I agree about Paul's solo album ('Mid Air'). A return to form after the disappointing final Blue Nile album. That said, the way PJ Moore 'framed' Buchanan's songs was so perfect - as I said before - such a shame it looks like they'll never work together again.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I still struggling with hats after really liking Walk across the rooftops. 
    edited April 2017
    artiebear said:

As an aside,  I was walking down Byres Rd (West End Glasgow) about 6 years ago with my then partner.  She came to a reminiscence about how she always used to bump into Paul at a certain place, and within two minutes we bumped into Paul, somethings must be fixed in this universe
    I agree about Paul's solo album ('Mid Air'). A return to form after the disappointing final Blue Nile album. That said, the way PJ Moore 'framed' Buchanan's songs was so perfect - as I said before - such a shame it looks like they'll never work together again.
    so true.  It was a very organic collection of songs /recordings (Midair) which one could easily imagine the classic Blue Nile orchestrated envelopment. I loved the fact the he recorded the album in his apartment mostly during the afternoon ,while the neighbours were out so as to to cause least disturbance. Very Paul. a total gent .
    edited April 2017
    So did I when it first came out. It sort of sounded like one long song, compared to AWATR. The instrumentation is more 'samey' throughout.

But for me, it probably IS their masterpiece - one long mood-piece. Things like 'Let's Go Out Tonight' are achingly sad - Buchanan's voice is sublime.

It remains in my personal top 10 albums - and probably always will. As you might have concluded - I'm an uber-fan....  
    artiebear said:

I always think that PJMoores contribution to the uniqueness of the Blue Nile is overlooked.  I found Paul Buchanan solo album pleasant, but samey and one paced; PJs soundscapes could have made it a great album. 
    So did I when it first came out. It sort of sounded like one long song, compared to AWATR. The instrumentation is more 'samey' throughout.

But for me, it probably IS their masterpiece - one long mood-piece. Things like 'Let's Go Out Tonight' are achingly sad - Buchanan's voice is sublime.

It remains in my personal top 10 albums - and probably always will. As you might have concluded - I'm an uber-fan....  
    yep,  and his phrasing / timing, impossible to emulate 
    AuldReekie said:I always think that PJMoores contribution to the uniqueness of the Blue Nile is overlooked.  I found Paul Buchanan solo album pleasant, but samey and one paced; PJs soundscapes could have made it a great album. 
    Agreed. I'm sporadically in touch with PJ and expressed exactly that opinion. 
    artiebear said:

I always think that PJMoores contribution to the uniqueness of the Blue Nile is overlooked.  I found Paul Buchanan solo album pleasant, but samey and one paced; PJs soundscapes could have made it a great album. 
    While I agree about the tempo of the album, that was just why I loved it. At the time I was working on an album for an artist that was causing all involved much angst. I had Midair on repeat play in the car just to prove that sometimes it's ok for artistic continuity to win the day :)

"Hats" is my favourite album off all time, bar none, for the same reasons that you quote.  Yes Buchanans voice is sublime, but PJ Moores soundscapes and his great sense of space, create a tension and atmospheres that are a perfect foil for that voice. Its a grower of an album as I bought it the day it came out and wasn't impressed that much.  Within a month, I was hooked and had to listen to it every day.  Not just the songs, but the running order. "Saturday Night" is the perfect album closer.  Hard to believe it will soon be 28 years since it was released.
    edited April 2017
    AuldReekie said:Hard to believe it will soon be 28 years since it was released.
    Or that I was 25 when - like you - I bought it on the day of release. More than half my lifetime ago....

In spite of the metronomic drum machine patterns and very 'electronic' arrangements - it sounds oddly timeless to my ears - which can't be said for much music from that period.
    AuldReekie said:Hard to believe it will soon be 28 years since it was released.
    Or that I was 25 when - like you - I bought it on the day of release. More than half my lifetime ago....

In spite of the metronomic drum machine patterns and very 'electronic' arrangements - it sounds oddly timeless to my ears - which can't be said for much music from that period.
    stop it you two, I'm being confronted with my loss of youth :)