Alegree's alclove - Updates and information

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited May 2017 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
Hi guys,

As some of you will have noticed I've recently joined this forum and been participating in discussions as well as a thread of my own. I thought it's about time I consolidate everything about Alegree in one thread.

Before I get into anything else, let me explain what Alegree is to those who've never heard.
Alegree is a business designed to supply guitar parts (with a big focus on boutique pickups at present) for people who are interested in modifying or building guitars. I've been running Alegree as an online store for about the last 6 months -  I'm the sole employee at present.
Very much interested in expanding, any and all suggestions as to what you'd like to see from such a shop and any other various comments/queries are very much encouraged and appreciated. More than anything, I aim to be far less of a faceless corporation than my competitors and have the highest level of interaction and engagement on a personal level as possible. I'm also offering the lowest prices in the UK for my wares as far as I'm aware.
</ lengthy intro>

This thread will mainly be updates about various pickup designs (something I intend to video log in the near future) and information about various store additions etc.

I aim to make some of the most unique and innovative pickup designs as possible (because vintage recreations bore me to death!). I'm primarily a rock/metal player, so my focus is towards the higher output spectrum.

Things currently I'm currently working on:

P90 toned Strat singles (using rod magnets as opposed to the standard screw/magnet configuration) - This innovative approach has some big advantages over the standard - I'll explain those in detail further down. 

A bright really high output humbucker - Using some rail coils which have bigger coil winding space I intend to make really powerful bridge pickup to match my Deathvalley neck pickup which is substantially brighter and responsive than most other pickups in that output range (however few that is).

Establishing myself on Amazon - I intend to sell my store wares on Amazon, there doesn't seem to be many guitar parts on there from UK sellers at all. With the amount of time and hassle it's been thus far (2 months and counting) I reckon everyone who has tried has given up. I'm currently on Ebay as well under the name Alegreeguitarsupplies. (PS my prices are of course inflated to compensate for the fees, if you're happy to go a slightly more inconvenient route my online store is cheaper).

Setting up videos on Youtube - This is going to be a big ongoing thing. I'd like to do some video tutorials on various pickup stuff (eg humbucker magnet swaps, cover removals, screw changes, and quite possibly the most important one - a general overview of where to start when you want to replace pickups, how to decide what you want. 

Learning how amps work to eventually branch into amp building - I purchased a kit to build a valve amp from scratch (and it ended up working much to my surprise) from ampmaker.co.uk (check it out!). I confess I'm addicted to playing around with the circuit and modding it now - but my justification is that I need to know how the work before I start stocking valves and the such then getting queries which leave me baffled.

Moving my shop further into luthiery - I've primarily been selling stuff for modders thus far. My initial plan was to open a shop designed mainly towards luthiers, stocking everything that is required to build a guitar from planks. I'm starting to move in that direction now.

I'll keep updating this thread with updates to my progress and any and all new things I come up with.

Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    The first P90 toned Strat pickups update:
    These will be done very soon, as they're approaching completion.

I've designed them with long winding areas to accomodate the thick wire that a typical P90 uses (as opposed to a small coil with thin wire that other winders use). Other winders also use mini bar magnets, which just don't offer the magnetic flux density of a real P90. This means I can get a higher level of output, in the P90 region, and I get a more natural, less compressed tone comparatively. 

Here's some prototype pictures so far -

Vintage correct plain enamel wound to the approximate DCR of a typical P90 means they should have the distributed capacitance of a normal P90. Once the magnetic structure is refined to perfection, they should be the most accurate P90 toned Strat pickups. Not to mention mixing and matching with normal singles won't look weird.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Bumping this up to the top for the PSA discount code to be seen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    50% ? Bloody hell !
    off to peruse your wares !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom