I have a PRS Custom 24, please tell me I don't need the Ibanez RG I've been GASsing for!

What's Hot
I'm at a point where I'm very happy with my guitar lineup, I have 2 Les Pauls, a Tele, a Strat and a PRS custom 24. 

However, I'm always looking at Ibanez RGs or other soloist style guitars, Jackson or Caparison for example. I have the PRS which is lovely, seems to be a bit bassy compared to what I've heard of the RG.

So my question to owners of PRS and potentially those who've tried an RG series guitar or other good soloist guitars...would I benefit from buying one or would it be a bit pointless? As in, there'd be a lot of crossover between the PRS and the RG/soloist.

Sorry for the dumb question, just can't get rid of this GAS!

Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    RG's have been around long enough and are of such excellent quality that they can be legitimately be seen as a valid type in their own right . You can't go wrong with either a Prestige or Team J Craft 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

prestige RG's are excellent guitars and everyone needs a Floyd loaded shredder in the collection

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @sweepy and  @John_A !

Are there any other soloist style guitars (Floyd loaded, of course!!) that I should be considering?

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I suppose it depends on your budget.

Ive got a JP16 and Suhr Modern for my 24 fret needs.

If you can live with one humbucker I've always liked Charvels and Krammers.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    If you're going to get one, get a late 80s or early 90s RG550. You can get one for around £500 and it'll be fantastic. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I gigged a pair of Ibanez RG's in my 20's. Very solid roadworthy guitars. You can't go wrong. Maybe buy used to make sure you don't loose on the residual?
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7321
    I've got all those guitars plus more and my favourite is my rg550. Others would hate it I'm sure.
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    are you actually playing the prs - if so consider a pickup swap or alter amp eq or put in eq in signal path to remove some bottom end ?  certainly cheaper than buying another guitar - not entirely sure which pu's the RG range came with but the lower end ones most likely their own and may need swapping out - also remember you'll be moving most likely to a basswood body which may suit you but might not ?
      I had a Jem Vai and tried everything I could to get a sound I was happy with - LP player here - and let it go eventually / got shut of a JP6 for same reason .. 

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited April 2017
    Stevepage said:
    If you're going to get one, get a late 80s or early 90s RG550. You can get one for around £500 and it'll be fantastic. 
    ...also worth hunting out the RG750 or 760. These were basically the same as the RG550 but with USA Dimarzio's, bound neck with rosewood fingerboard and and sharktooth inlays.

I've no experience of the PRS custom 24 but the wizard neck will feel v different I'm sure.

There's one on eBay
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=132159473233&&&adgroupid=43920634520&rlsatarget=pla-359427365517&abcId=1063846&adtype=pla&merchantid=114920260&poi=&googleloc=1006920&device=c&campaignid=797602469&crdt=0&chn=ps

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited April 2017
    RG550 in RFR, just 'cuz.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    John_A said:

prestige RG's are excellent guitars and everyone needs a Floyd loaded shredder in the collection

nope I don't! - I'm not a shredder, I don't like RG Ibanez, I don't like Floyd's, & I prefer more traditional guitars.  So - not quite everyone - sorry 'bout that! D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • DanR said:
    I suppose it depends on your budget.

Ive got a JP16 and Suhr Modern for my 24 fret needs.

If you can live with one humbucker I've always liked Charvels and Krammers.
    Dan, have you ever compared your Suhr Modern to an RG or a PRS? Must admit I'm intrigued by a Modern Pro with a Floyd Rose and HSH.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Voxman said:
    John_A said:

nope I don't! - I'm not a shredder, I don't like RG Ibanez, I don't like Floyd's, & I prefer more traditional guitars.  So - not quite everyone - sorry 'bout that! D

Not a shredder either, but I have one 'just in case' ;)
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Go for it, as long as it's blue!  :3 You will also need an EMG loaded guitar "just because". 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76 said:
    Go for it, as long as it's blue!  :3 You will also need an EMG loaded guitar "just because". 
    Wis'd. Shame I can't 'wis' you twice for such exceptional wisdom on both accounts!

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    @Jonathanthomas83 I replaced two custom 24s with the JP and Suhr.

I prefer the non carve tops and arm cutaways for comfort.

Neck shape wise the JP is probably a bit too skinny for me but the Suhrs probably the comfiest neck I've had on a guitar.

Its probably worth trying a few to see how you find the differences between mahogany and basswood.

Ive never played an ibanez so I couldn't really compare.
  • That's great advice, mate. Thank you!

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    @Jonathanthomas83 ;
    maybe look at new pups for the PRS?

but I have a couple of PRSi (?) and I'm an Ibby man of old, for my money the very best shredder guitar Ibanez make is the S series. 

I used to have a Colbolt Blue S with zero Edge term, dimarzios and it was fecking awesome. 

The grunt of mahogany with the snap of bolt on. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • @professorben thanks for the advice...

I guess it's less of a question on how I feel about the PRS, as I love it the way it is, pickups included - BK Cold Sweats. I guess my initial question is just whether it's worth buying an Ibanez as well as the PRS...by the looks of the answers in this thread, it looks like it'd offer enough of a difference to be a worthwhile purchase.

That said, I'm intrigued by a Suhr Modern Pro too!

Got any pics of your Cobalt Blue S series? You know what I'm like with blue guitars!!!