The Theresa May General Election thread (edited)

What's Hot

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745

So you'd stop translating for the people already here? What do you think the outcome of that would be?

We shoot them?

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    capo4th said:
    The deficit between government income and expenditure is down which deficit are you referring to? 

The yearly deficit between income and expenditure may well be going down. That's called the "current budget deficit". As long as expenditure continues to exceed income, the total amount we owe, that's called "the UK National Debt" continues to get bigger every year. The process of austerity was intended to reduce our overall debt amount. It hasn't worked, as Thorpy noted, but it has resulted in misery for most of us and (oddly) no misery at all for a select few. 

The UK overdraft is getting bigger although the country has reduced the amount it overspends every month. It's still overspending. 

In January 2017, the UK National Debt was £1,682.8 billion - equivalent to 85.3% of GDP
    That's how western economies run these days .. French debt is higher at 96% of GDP and even the prudent Germans are running at around 70% of GDP.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And in other news May's lead is cut ... a landslide now looking unlikely. You have to take the usual caveat that polls are rubbish though .. ;-)

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    capo4th said:
    Are people really in misery? Someone said that earlier.

i just don't see it but I do live in London. 

I would suggest getting out of that bubble then. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    And in other news May's lead is cut ... a landslide now looking unlikely. You have to take the usual caveat that polls are rubbish though .. ;-)
    Which poll are you quoting from? Sunday Mirror ComRes poll has her at 50%.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-tory-party-theresa-may-landslide-sweeping-election-victory-latest-polls-a7697351.html

Last YouGov poll says 48% for May

13 Labour MPs have announced that they are quitting. 

More importantly, I've got a sodding laptop to repair today. Disk read errors all over the place. I think it's borked. Yawn :D

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1946
    capo4th said:
    Are people really in misery? Someone said that earlier.

i just don't see it but I do live in London. 

I would suggest getting out of that bubble then. 
    Bingo
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:
    The deficit between government income and expenditure is down which deficit are you referring to? 

The yearly deficit between income and expenditure may well be going down. That's called the "current budget deficit". As long as expenditure continues to exceed income, the total amount we owe, that's called "the UK National Debt" continues to get bigger every year. The process of austerity was intended to reduce our overall debt amount. It hasn't worked, as Thorpy noted, but it has resulted in misery for most of us and (oddly) no misery at all for a select few. 

The UK overdraft is getting bigger although the country has reduced the amount it overspends every month. It's still overspending. 

In January 2017, the UK National Debt was £1,682.8 billion - equivalent to 85.3% of GDP
    That's how western economies run these days .. French debt is higher at 96% of GDP and even the prudent Germans are running at around 70% of GDP.

it is, this is correct, but it doesn't make it right tho. Getting off topic here, but we need to break the link btween debt and government. All it does is fuel the coffers of the money lenders.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Fretwired said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/conservative-tory-party-theresa-may-landslide-sweeping-election-victory-latest-polls-a7697351.html

More importantly, I've got a sodding laptop to repair today. Disk read errors all over the place. I think it's borked. Yawn :D
    A poll carried out for the Mail on Sunday which is a Tory supporting paper.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4436044/Tory-lead-slashed-half-tax-U-turn.html

VimFuego said:

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

it is, this is correct, but it doesn't make it right tho. Getting off topic here, but we need to break the link btween debt and government. All it does is fuel the coffers of the money lenders.
    Agree, but remember when Osborne was being prudent (for about 10 minutes) and our debt to GDP ratio was much lower he was attacked by the EU, IMF and Labour and the pound fell as the 'experts' said there was room to borrow money and have less austerity. So he did.

Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

Agree, but remember when Osborne was being prudent (for about 10 minutes) and our debt to GDP ratio was much lower he was attacked by the EU, IMF and Labour and the pound fell as the 'experts' said there was room to borrow money and have less austerity. So he did.

well, they're all facets of the same problem. This is why you need to transced tribal politics and see the bigger picture (and the root of the problem). Sadly, so many people (as evidenced in this thread and all over FB etc) are stuck in their simplistic and dualistic thinking. Politicians, the IMF etc are just mouthpieces.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4436044/Tory-lead-slashed-half-tax-U-turn.html

I'd say might be a reaction to - potential tax rises, pension triple-lock removal and re-confirmation of the foreign aid budget. I thought these were seriously stupid things to say - all daggers to the core support (not maintaining foreign aid per se, but to do it whilst shafting taxpayers & pensioners - bad electoral ju-ju.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    VimFuego said:
    Fretwired said:
    VimFuego said:

Fretwired said:
    capo4th said:

well, they're all facets of the same problem. This is why you need to transced tribal politics and see the bigger picture (and the root of the problem). Sadly, so many people (as evidenced in this thread and all over FB etc) are stuck in their simplistic and dualistic thinking. Politicians, the IMF etc are just mouthpieces.
    Agreed. But in the days of social media anyone with a Facebook or Twitter account can become an expert - politicians are only human and five years goes by quickly.

And Joe Public wants billions more spent on public services like the NHS, but ignores the waste and inefficiency that means toilet rolls cost the NHS £5 each a sink costs £2K.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    MrBump said:

It's not boys vs girls.  It's just people.  To suggest that women haven't had a shit time throughout modern history is to be disingenuous.  Very recently, women and girls were seen as chattles, little more than traded possessions.  If you think that this is somehow irrelevant because of the millions of young men that died during the early part of the 20th century - again, it's playground politics.  Men aren't more important than women, women aren't more important than men, playing the blame game doesn't help the cause of equality of opportunity.
    The book covers all this, whereas you're assuming it's a book that is anti-female

This book is more than 30 years old, and written by a prominent male feminist of the era, and does not say that men are more important than women, where did you get that idea?

If you don't want to explore the points made by this excellent author, then just say so
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

And Joe Public wants billions more spent on public services like the NHS, but ignores the waste and inefficiency that means toilet rolls cost the NHS £5 each a sink costs £2K.
    A-fucking-men to that. There's shedloads more money in the NHS, 1000s of beds have gone and hordes more people employed, yet the service still goes down - and balls to the "NHS inflation is different" tired old line.  A lot of hospitals are run by totally incompetent eegits, who fritter away money like it's confetti. All the scandals coming to light are not down to lack of cash - just incompetent & irresponsible management  & staff.

Anecdote1 - took my old Dad to his glaucoma clinic for a 10am appointment (they open at 8am), to be told they were currently running 2hrs behind - so in the 2hrs they were open they'd got 2hrs behind, to quote Chris Camara "Unbelievable" !!!! 

Anecdote2 - when my Mum was dying they took the person who was responsible for finding end-of-life care outside hospital off that job and put her on the wards (year end budget nonsense) - my Mum was in hospital for 7 weeks (on a 100% mixed ward) while she drifted away; a month after she died I got a call from the regional NHS community care office asking, given a choice where I'd like her to be moved to (they got a curt and to the point response).  (I'd actually found a bed for her at the local BUPA elderly care unit, who had a bed, seemed genuinely concerned, and had suitably trained staff, and had an NHS contract for such things - but without the admin wonks doing anything it couldn't happen)

This institutionalized malaise is not down to "Tory Cuts" (given my Mum died under Gordon Brown's "leadership")

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:

So pretty much the only poll out this Sunday which says her lead is dropping. Interesting that it's a paper that supported Remain that is pretty much the only one saying her support is dropping. 

Eh ? Am I missing biting irony there or something ?  The Daily Fail is rabidly pro-Brexit

Feedback
    mail on sunday isn't

It's say it was a broadside to tell her to STFU about tax rises rather than anything Brexit related.

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Eh ? Am I missing biting irony there or something ?  The Daily Fail is rabidly pro-Brexit
    The Times was Remain: Sunday Times Leave. Daily Mail was Leave, Mail on Sunday Remain. Different editors and different agendas. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    Polls, schmolls.

Experice of recent elections and referenda should make one very wary of accepting poll data with only the most blood pressure-elevating pinch of salt.