Recording Piano Sounds - what do I need?

BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
edited April 2017 in Studio & Recording
Hey folks

I've juat started delving into the world of recording (currently using my thr10 amp as the interface between the guitar and GarageBand but plan on getting something like a focusrite Scarlett to use) and I want to add piano sounds into my recordings. 

What do I need? I see all different types of keyboards from small things right up to full size electric pianos. 

Looking for cheap and cheerful so will probably be buying used. 

Ideally I'd like to be able to use it as a piano without NEEDING to plug into a computer or interface but that's a secondary thing. I really know nothing about any of this at this stage so all input much appreciated!

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    edited April 2017
    As a baseline for reference I was looking at this type of thing 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AT0IIBS#Ask

Am i on the right lines ?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Well I guess any electric piano will do the job, depends on what quality of sounds you need.

If your going further into recording then you could use this as a master keyboard (I think) and play 3rd party software Piano sounds. 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Well I guess any electric piano will do the job, depends on what quality of sounds you need.

If your going further into recording then you could use this as a master keyboard (I think) and play 3rd party software Piano sounds. 
    Fundamentally I want to be able to add Piano sounds to what I record in GarageBand. If I'm understanding correctly then most keyboards/digital pianos can act as 'controllers' for the 'virtual instruments' in GarageBand and the like, is that right?

So it's not the audio that's being recorded as such, the keystrokes on the keyboard/piano are mimicked by the virtual instrument, yes? 

How authentic are the sounds? Obviously unless it's an actual piano then these 'virtual' sounds are in effect no different to what's coming out of the keyboard/piano in the first place? 

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    BRISTOL86 said:

How authentic are the sounds? Obviously unless it's an actual piano then these 'virtual' sounds are in effect no different to what's coming out of the keyboard/piano in the first place? 

Depends on the keyboard and the virtual piano, there's a wide range of quality for both. Both can be sampled or modelled, fer example.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    BRISTOL86 said:

Depends on the keyboard and the virtual piano, there's a wide range of quality for both. Both can be sampled or modelled, fer example.
    Ok thanks. Presumably third party sounds can be added into GarageBand and similar software? Am I right in saying that the physical piano/keyboard then just becomes the 'controller' and the sound is dependent on the virtual instrument?

Probably sounds like stupid questions but trying to get my head around the terminology!

I don't know whether I want something small that doesn't look/feel like a proper piano which is just a controller or something like what I linked which can be played as a standalone instrument with no computer connection.
    BRISTOL86 said:

Ok thanks. Presumably third party sounds can be added into GarageBand and similar software? 
    Dunno about Garageband specifically but normally you can add all sorts via plugins such as VSTs. Anything from single instruments up to things like Kontakt with entire sample libraries included.

BRISTOL86 said:

Am I right in saying that the physical piano/keyboard then just becomes the 'controller' and the sound is dependent on the virtual instrument?
    Yes. Exactly that.

BRISTOL86 said:

I don't know whether I want something small that doesn't look/feel like a proper piano which is just a controller or something like what I linked which can be played as a standalone instrument with no computer connection.
    If piano sounds are your main focus then an 88-key weighted controller will be much better than a smaller keyboard, and I think it's worth getting something you can use standalone as well so you're not put off by having to start up the computer to play.
    Thanks @Sporky that's very helpful. I agree about something standalone. This one jumped out at me because of the size - space is quite tight so 88 keys is too big but at 61 keys it's a nice balance between footprint and useability. 
    61 sounds an OK compromise - I think 49 is cramped for actual piano playing. If you were just doing keyboard sounds then even a 29er can be enough.
    Sporky said:
    61 sounds an OK compromise - I think 49 is cramped for actual piano playing. If you were just doing keyboard sounds then even a 29er can be enough.
    Yeah it's just going to sit on a desk so makes sense to get the biggest size I can for the space - this would just fit! 
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    As far as I know, Garageband can not be used to host external virtual instruments - however, I would imagine the quality of the built in piano sounds would be ok for your purposes. If you are using an Ipad you can get the Camera connection kit which lets you connect a USB keyboard as long as it is class compliant, otherwise you will need a MIDI to USB interface. (just had a look at the keyboard you linked to, looks like it has the USB connection)

The other thing to look out for is the action of the keyboard, the most basic ones (synth action) don't really play like a real piano. If this is important to you, the best thing is to go to a shop and try a few to see what works for you.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    Left field option, but you can download the free version of Ableton to run vsts and record this into Garageband
    Stop crying, start buying
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    wave100 said:
    As far as I know, Garageband can not be used to host external virtual instruments - however, I would imagine the quality of the built in piano sounds would be ok for your purposes. If you are using an Ipad you can get the Camera connection kit which lets you connect a USB keyboard as long as it is class compliant, otherwise you will need a MIDI to USB interface. (just had a look at the keyboard you linked to, looks like it has the USB connection)
    The latest version of Garageband does have an External option, but I don't use it so not sure what it does.  Might be worth looking into, mind.