Which delay??

smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if there's a delay pedal out there that suits what I'm looking for. I did have a DD500, and in terms of functionality it was pretty spot on, but felt that all of te diting parameters etc was a bit of overkill even though it did have all of the functions that I'm looking for.

I've currently got an M9 on my board which covers all my ground as I need tremolo as well, but I'm not overly keen on the sounds of the effects versus my stand-alone pedals that I currently use on my small board, DD7 and Hotone Trem.

So, here's what I'm after:

1. As compact as possible

2. I need analogue and digital delay sounds

3. I don't like fiddling/tweaking settings mid-set so I want to have the ability to set and forget/store settings, then have them easily accessible. I currently need 3 or 4 different delays during a live set

4. The ability to stack at least 2 of the delays into each other

Does such a pedal exist??

I am thinking that I either need to get another DD500, or have two DD7's and get over the fact that I'll need to do some tweking mid-set and just be prepared for when it needs to happen

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Until you said 4, I'd have said SA Nemesis.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Pigtronix echolution always looked pretty great to me. Never tried one, but does all of the above and demos were very impressive. 
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    Until you said 4, I'd have said SA Nemesis.

Just had a look....website says it can store up to 8 presets which are accessible from the pedal, or also with an additional footswitch?

I don't need 4 delays on at the same time, just the ability to have 4 presets, and then have two that can stack if possible (or could I make a preset that has both delays saved into one??)

• JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    strymon timeline - has dual delay setting but not fully independent - but very feature rich - on tonnes of boards 

tc triple delay - havent used but maybe what youre looking for

tc x4 - depends on your dual delay needs 
  • I've got a dd500 and I know what you mean about it being overwhelming.  When I gig I deliberately reduce the number of available presets to the absolute minimum usually 5 or 6. That seems to clear my head a bit to not get swamped. I kind of view the other 194 preset slots as a scratch pad or sand box to mess about in.

Banks 1 - 20 for gigging presets.
    Banks 21 - 40 basic examples each type
    Banks 41 - 69 downloaded patches and experiment area.
    Banks 70 - 99 I kept as factory. Presets

I too came from a dd7 but have found that setting some rules about your preset structures stops it from being too daunting. Just because it has all the power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    This is an interesting That Pedal Show episode - you might skip to the end for the conclusion which is that you should buy whatever delay your brain or heart tells you to, and then invest the time in that one device so you totally master it.

• Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited April 2017
    What about a Boss DD-20 and put that alongside the DD-7? That would give effectively 5 presets
  • Until you said 4, I'd have said SA Nemesis.

Just had a look....website says it can store up to 8 presets which are accessible from the pedal, or also with an additional footswitch?

I don't need 4 delays on at the same time, just the ability to have 4 presets, and then have two that can stack if possible (or could I make a preset that has both delays saved into one??)

You can't stack delays but you can have dual parallel delays. And yes, 4 presets as standard, 8 if you want more....128 if you use midi!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    If the Boss dd500 does everything you need - then get another one, set it to how you need it and then stop worrying about it. Should you ever need more then it will go with you. Live mine and I use about 3 different sounds regularly with a couple more as special fx. So easy.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The Flashback or Alter Ego X4 seems to tick the boxes here. Three pre sets, different flavours of delay plus tap tempo, although slightly annoying if you don't want tap as a quarter of it is given over to that. Looping as an occasional bonus. It can also do some expression pedal stuff and is very simple to use. 
    Downsides, for me, where fairly big for just three pre sets and no pre amp/ boost (although I might be in a minority as seeing this as desirable). 
    Stone Deaf Syncopy would give you four pre sets (but all analogue flavour), expandable by MIDI if you wanted more, and looks fairly simple and not huge. Downside is they haven't got to the shops yet and you can't find anyone who has tried one. 

Just read up the Discussion - don't think you can stack delays on either, maybe the tc Triple Delay then. IIRC it doesn't sync multiple delays via the tap tempo (unless there has been an update) which seemed to be the big issue with something clearly aimed at those who like to stack delays. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    The new empress delay does all this including delay stacking, I think.  
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    JMP220478 said:
    strymon timeline - has dual delay setting but not fully independent - but very feature rich - on tonnes of boards 

All quite large tho. 

Left field option
    Eventide H9
    you can pick up a core for about £300/350
    And buy the Vintage Delay algorithm for £20 or SpaceTime

it has as many presets as you could ever use, the built in H910/949 has a really really nice digital Delay on it and you can turn it into anything you wanted later on. 

Tap tempo which can be either global or preset based, small ish footprint, dual independent delays.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I'll get back to you on this.

;-)
  • smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 664
    JMP220478 said:

All quite large tho. 

Left field option
    Eventide H9

it has as many presets as you could ever use, the built in H910/949 has a really really nice digital Delay on it and you can turn it into anything you wanted later on. 

Tap tempo which can be either global or preset based, small ish footprint, dual independent delays.

Thanks for all the replies people :)

Most of the delays mentioned are either a bit bigger than what I could fit on my board, or a lot more expensive than I would be looking to pay, especially just for a dedicated delay.

The H9 has my interest though, but only if......... I also use reverb and tremolo and sometimes I'll combine them with a delay. Can the H9 run more than one preset at once, so that I could have one delay and one reverb?

Or, is there a setting similar to the dual delay, where I can have delay/reverb set up under one preset?

If not, then I'm thinking I need to get a DD500 and a Flint

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Until you said 4, I'd have said SA Nemesis.

You can't stack delays but you can have dual parallel delays. And yes, 4 presets as standard, 8 if you want more....128 if you use midi!

There's a multi feedback option in the app, which I think means that one delay can feed the other or vice versa
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Outside option might be the Mooer Ocean Machine if you need dual delays and delay+reverb. Very knob heavy but it's essentially three pedals in one box so I don't think it's too complex. I've yet to see a decent YouTube demo though ( the Andertons one being the only thing resembling an actual demo but so,so badly done ) and as they only just came out not many people around who own one. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    JMP220478 said:

All quite large tho. 

Left field option
    Eventide H9

Thanks for all the replies people :)

Most of the delays mentioned are either a bit bigger than what I could fit on my board, or a lot more expensive than I would be looking to pay, especially just for a dedicated delay.

The H9 has my interest though, but only if......... I also use reverb and tremolo and sometimes I'll combine them with a delay. Can the H9 run more than one preset at once, so that I could have one delay and one reverb?

Or, is there a setting similar to the dual delay, where I can have delay/reverb set up under one preset?

If not, then I'm thinking I need to get a DD500 and a Flint

Yes and no. 

Strictly speaking it's one effect or algorithm at a time. 

However......

the harmoniser contains two delays.  So you can use the pitch shift as a chorus and get delays as well. 

The SpaceTime algorithm has a modulation block, a reverb and a 2 delay ( vintage delay based) in series, you can use any and all at the same time. 

ModEcoVerb is the same sort of deal too as SpaceTime but different flavours.