Can you help me shortlist some amps?

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940

I live a long way East of anywhere with a good selection of amps to try out but am looking to shortlist a handful to consider. Can you help me shortlist some?

Here are my requirements:

Will be using with a Line 6 Helix for effects only with a Les Paul, Strat and Tele

1x10 or 1x12 Combo

Top mount controls preferred but not essential, must look good though!

20-40 watts range

Single channel

Gain and master volume arrangement and simple tone stack

Effects loop

Reverb is not essential

Price range: up to £2K, will go over if I have to for the right amp

Able to get warm fat cleans into a nice crunchy breakup, no need for high gain. I don't like thin fizzy blackface distortion, I want something more 'marshally'. I can use the Helix drives for this or a pedal drive, I like using a Klone to hit the front of an amp hard to help the drive tone along. Looking for Bluesy, Blues/Rock tones (Peter Green, The Who, Zep, into early punk Sex Pistols/Clash

I had a Victory V40 and liked it but it was voiced a little dark at low home volume and it isn't the prettiest amp in the world, let's face it! I sold it to get the Helix but want a valve amp back in my world.

I have been thinking about:

Victory V40 Deluxe - haven't heard many demos of this new combo from Victory but it sounds like it's been tweaked to sound more Blackface and now runs 6L6 instead of EL34 so I'm concerned about what the drive sounds like but a little brighter would be good on Voice I , but I preferred the fatter Voice II on the V40 head anyway with it's tweedy warmth.

Redplate Tweedyverb+ - love the online demos but lacks affects loop (not the end of the world)

Dr Z Maz 18 NR - Uses EL84 and sound quite bright and maybe a little thin in all demos I've heard

Tweed Deluxe clone - Lazy J20 or Flynn Deluxe - no master volume but fat Tweed tone.

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25 or 35 combo - too complicated? Drive tone a bit unwieldy? not sure. Expensive

Suhr Bella - don't know much about this one

What else have you got?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments