speaker combination dilemma - various celestions in a couple of cabs

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
Any experts care to chip in with which speakers you would wire up together?

Spare speakers:
2 x  hot100 8ohm,  
2 x G12H100 4ohm,
1x vintage G12 8ohms (older version of a vintage30),  
1xG12M70 4ohm

I have a spare 4x12 and an oversize 2x12.  
I'm not particularly tied in to needing a certain overall impedance.   

I was going to wire it up as option A until I spotted the other two speakers so I could go with option B

Option A   cab1 hot100 + V30  (16ohm)     cab2  G12H100 + G12H100 (8ohm)

Option B  cab1   V30 + G12H100 + G12H100 (16ohm)      cab2  hot100 + hot100 (16ohm)

Anyone spot another combination?  Any preference which combination will work better?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Whilst I'm not an expert on speaker combinations, it may be worth stating what type of music you play/sounds you are after. Also, whether your cabinets are open or closed backs. Hopefully, this will help in informing the experts.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Good point - I play all sorts of music but I guess when I use this it would be either the 4x12 with a jubilee 50 as a second half stack or both as a second full stack so fairly rocking - think whitesnake levels of gain.   
    Both cabs are closed. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Try a G12H-100 with the G12M-70. The 70 isn't a great speaker on its own, but it seems to work quite well with a heavier-sounding one. If it's a vertical cab put the 70 at the top, it will be less spiky sounding than the 100.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    You have to try them with the amps you have, and try it so you can flip the cab around to see what works best on top and bottom, I have a couple cabs with Vintage 30 and G12H speakers in them, I much prefer them with the Heavy magnet G12H  on the top
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    other option is sell all 4 and buy two new speakers that are known to work well together
  • Probably not the most popular opinion but I actually prefer having cabs where all the speakers are the same.  So my vote is to sell + buy to make that happen with your favourites.

If the G12H100s are anything like the 30s or 75s then I'd probably put those in the smaller 212 cab as the extended range (compared to a v30 type) would make it sound bigger.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I'm with @guitarfishbay I like matching cabs. Makes life easy for a sound guy too.