Which Jet City...

What's Hot
CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
I've decided to give Jet City a go on my search for a small portable amp.

I can't decide which of the Custom 5, Custom 22 or JCA22H would suit me best.

I like the Soldano sound and I think Martin Kidd makes great amps as well.

Any thoughts/experiences that might help my decision. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I have a jca50h and its beasty
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    What do you want to achieve/ use it for?

• longilongi Frets: 95
    The Custom 5 isn't a Soldano or Martin Kidd design, I forget who designed it but it's not either of those guys. That's not to say it's not a nice amp though. I have a Custom 22 and think it's a great amp for the price.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Do they make an amp with a clean channel? All I seem to see are crunch/overdrive ones...?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    Custom 22 has a proper clean.
    Some people claim to get a decent clean from the 22h but i never could.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26573
    edited April 2017
    Custom 22 has a proper clean.
    It's possible, but you have to put a 12AT7 in the V1 position at the very least.

Basically, it comes down to the Custom 22 if you want clean cleans, or the JCA22H if you don't. If your budget extends a fair bit further then there's the Amelia (£480-odd), which is awesome; however, you'll have to go to Thomann for that.

EDIT: It's also neither small nor portable, but it is great :D
    <space for hire>
  • Custom 22 has a proper clean.

The jca 20h I tried *could* be clean, but it was single channel and wasn't a traditional "funk" clean, more that slightly hairy John Frusciante style clean. 

At low volume it could be clean but... Yeah, I'd say go for the custom 22 if you want clean cleans. 
    Thanks chaps!  :)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    I might actually buy an Amelia as well at some point as a backup to my Cornford MK50, or if I end up selling the Cornford. 

I would just be using it as lighter option to take to rehearsal (maybe small gigs) and a 'cleaner' clean channel would probably be better for me.

Does everybody change valves on the Jet City amps as soon as they get them? 
    CHrisP86 said:

Does everybody change valves on the Jet City amps as soon as they get them? 
    A lot do, but I actually quite like the sound of the cheap Chinese valves they use, to the point where I got Doug to send me 10 of them so I could have some spares :)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7284
    I didnt change the valves on mine.....it's still beasty.

I got my clean by bypassing the preamp and using a fender model on my multi-fx instead but bear in mind my cleans are completely clean. If you like a tiny bit of hair or a clean tone that breaks up when you dig in then you'll get what you need out of the JCA.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    usedtobe said:
    Do they make an amp with a clean channel? All I seem to see are crunch/overdrive ones...?
    I haven't tried it but the 2x12 50 watt combo was supposedly a clone of the lucky 13 (i think), which has a proper fendery clean channel. But then I think it doesn't have the high gain channel, i think its od channel is the crunch channel from the high gain ones.
    Dave_Mc said:
    usedtobe said:
    I haven't tried it but the 2x12 50 watt combo was supposedly a clone of the lucky 13 (i think), which has a proper fendery clean channel. But then I think it doesn't have the high gain channel, i think its od channel is the crunch channel from the high gain ones.
    Yep, that's right. From their description, it had the Lucky 13 clean channel wide-open (ie no gain control, just an input volume) and the normal Soldano crunch channel.
    <space for hire>
    edited April 2017
    ^ Thanks. I didn't realise that about the gain control, so that's interesting.

They really should name the things a bit less confusingly, as it's very easy to get mixed up- and also very annoying that the only way to get that amp (if that's what you want) is in the 2x12 combo format, which is big and heavy. EDIT: and also more expensive to swap speakers, if you're that way inclined.
    Dave_Mc said:
    usedtobe said:
    Yeah, I remember that one being out briefly, or so it seemed. Maybe I was late to the party..
    Sounded like my ideal amp, but I dithered, as I do, and it was discontinued. I do keep an eye out for used ones coming up, but they're pretty thin on the ground. I exchanged a couple of emails with a guy at jet city, about the possibility of a proper clean channel/other type amp, and he said there might be something suitable coming along... This was a while ago..
     The custom 22 might do me, but then I'm going to have to look at cabs, and I've always had combos. The getting the right cab rating for a head thing baffles me a bit. Sounds pathetic, I know, but it's something I've never had any experience of...

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    JCA20HV is my go to amp. Covers gigging from pop and blues rock to fairly metal stuff with a few pedals. I like it alot!

I did change the el84s and thought it sounded better afterwards - more headroom. 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I had a JCA22H, and to be honest I thought it was the head Marshall should have made.

As others have said, change the first pre-amp valve for something with less gain and put better quality valves in the second pre-amp and the phase inverter position.

Became a wonderful amp, with nice cleans, Marshall roar rhythm sounds and takes pedals to cover everything else very well.

Only negatives - the loop comes after the MV so if you to straight to the return that doesn't work so well, oh and it's very loud! But the master volume works great and I used it very easily at home with no attenuator.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    usedtobe said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    usedtobe said:
    Yeah, I remember that one being out briefly, or so it seemed. Maybe I was late to the party..
    Sounded like my ideal amp, but I dithered, as I do, and it was discontinued. I do keep an eye out for used ones coming up, but they're pretty thin on the ground. I exchanged a couple of emails with a guy at jet city, about the possibility of a proper clean channel/other type amp, and he said there might be something suitable coming along... This was a while ago..
     The custom 22 might do me, but then I'm going to have to look at cabs, and I've always had combos. The getting the right cab rating for a head thing baffles me a bit. Sounds pathetic, I know, but it's something I've never had any experience of...
    I didn't realise it was discontinued- they used to have it on Thomann, but haven't for a while, so you're probably right.
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    So ended up on a slight detour as I won a Soldano Astroverb on eBay last night. Looking forward to picking it up! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited April 2017
    usedtobe said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    usedtobe said:

Cabs are pretty simple, there isn't that much to learn, there is 2 main bits, impedance and power rating. 

For impedance, there will be an ohm rating on the back of the amp, either 4, 8 or 16, there will also be a rating on the cab or speaker. Ideally you want to match that rating, but with a valve amp you can safely use a speaker between a quarter and double the impedance of the amp. 

Power rating is also quite easy, you just need the speaker to have a higher power than the amp.