The mighty falling

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7280
So here's the game, you post 2 vids, one of a fantastic band at the height of their genius and then a second of the sorry mess they became.

So ladies and gentlemen I ask you how did this band:

Manage to put out toss like this?

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308

The Manics fell from a great height...

Good

Crock of shit

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tool

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1472
    So here's the game, you post 2 vids, one of a fantastic band at the height of their genius and then a second of the sorry mess they became.

So ladies and gentlemen I ask you how did this band:

Manage to put out toss like this?

Could not agree more. 

SCIENCE, Make Yourself and Morning View are three incredible albums (and each very different sonically) - but they really went on a landslide with A Crow Left of the Murder and kept free falling. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    joneve said:

SCIENCE, Make Yourself and Morning View are three incredible albums (and each very different sonically) - but they really went on a landslide with A Crow Left of the Murder and kept free falling. 
    I think I only listened to A Crow Left of the Murder once and that was it.  Having said that, I did think that Morning View, whilst good, was too mellow so perhaps the rot had already set in for me...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26873
    I'm lolling at the idea that Design for Life is somehow not a fantastic song.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    And I'm laughing that it is. It's shit. 

They became what what they hated when they started. It's just MOR blandness. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    CHRISB50 said:

Ok, it didn't fit the idealism of the devoted (obsessed) fans at the time (of which I wasn't one), but I'm with sticky it's a fucking brilliant song.

You should be picking on "if you tolerate this..." etc which was insipid tosh.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    CHRISB50 said:

Everything Must Go is a masterpiece. Not saying it's the Holy Bible, and  totally get how fans of earlier Manics felt let down, but I think it's exactly what they wanted to make, and it sounds fantastic. The problem was the 4/5 albums after....

And Design for Life is a seminal song.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26873
    gusman2x said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Everything Must Go is a masterpiece. Not saying it's the Holy Bible, and  totally get how fans of earlier Manics felt let down, but I think it's exactly what they wanted to make, and it sounds fantastic. The problem was the 4/5 albums after....

Precisely. Later albums had a lot of crap on them but Everything Must Go is an absolute classic from that period.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    A few that spring to mind.

Cant be bothered to dig out clips right now but how did The Killers go from such promise to the soft rock pap of late. 

The ones that also interest me are the ones that fell so quickly after having everything at their feet. Examples, MGMT - killer debut album, what happened! Chvches - again killer debut album, terrible follow up.

As for bands with longer careers, I dunno, all bands change as they get older and you could pick on almost every band on the planet where there is a tale off in quality as time progresss. R.E.M spring to mind, but even then there's some stuff right from the last few albums that I still like.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    edited April 2017
    Spandau Ballet

Journeys To Glory - brilliant

Everything else - pap

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gusman2x said:
    CHRISB50 said:

Precisely. Later albums had a lot of crap on them but Everything Must Go is an absolute classic from that period.

2009's Journal for Plague Lovers, with lyrics by Richey, is an excellent album that I recommend to anyone who has not heard it.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22685
    ICBM said:
    Spandau Ballet

Journeys To Glory - brilliant

Everything else - pap

I've only heard the singles, not the albums, but I've always thought To Cut a Long Story Short was excellent and everything thereafter a disappointment.
  • BradBrad Frets: 658
    edited April 2017
    The Manics are prisoners of their own history. 

What could they do after the Holy Bible and Richey's disappearance? The Holy Bible part two?! I just think they followed a more melodic sensibility that they definitely suggested that was there during GT and GATS. 

If it was any other band, they wouldn't get anywhere near the grief for releasing Everything Must Go. But anything following The Holy Bible would be a let down. I agree everything post Everything Must Go has been disappointing. 

Metallica definitely fit the bill for me. 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7280
    Brad said:
    The Manics are prisoners of their own history. 

What could they do after the Holy Bible and Richey's disappearance? The Holy Bible part two?! I just think they followed a more melodic sensibility that they definitely suggested that was there during GT and GATS. 

If it was any other band, they wouldn't get anywhere near the grief for releasing Everything Must Go. But anything following The Holy Bible would be a let down. I agree everything post Everything Must Go has been disappointing. 

Metallica definitely fit the bill for me. 

Yeah but Metallica have also had a subsequent upswing.......mind you it's hard not to improve on St Anger.....
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ