Antiquity vs Seth Lover vs Burstbucker 1 & 2

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
My brain is going around in circles trying to decide which of these would be best to replace the Japanese pick-ups in my Orville 335.
Looking for sparkle and a hollow/open tone.  Any 335 players out there using these pickups?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    I've had both Antiquities and Seth Lovers in Gibson 335's and Les Pauls they behave similarly in both types of guitar, to my ears.  The Seth Lovers are definitely a little brighter than the Antiquities and have definite "honk" (mid scoop) particularly in the bridge position.  Really nice pickup but a little different from the usual smooth but clear PAF clone, which the Antiquity is more in the style of.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    PS both definitely benefit from having a 50's style wiring arrangement.  Gives both a touch a of sparkle.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Thanks @ESchap, I do like the idea of the mid scoop from the Seth Lovers. I think I saw a recommendation of a Seth in the neck and an Antiquity in the bridge positions. What would you think of that combination?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Speaking from Antiquities V BurstBuckers experience, I'd go with the Ants any day of the week. The BB's sounded like they were under a blanket compared to the Antiquities.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    I've had Antiquities and burstbucker 1 & 2 (custom shop Alnico 2 version not the alnico 5 pros). Both very nice. I'd go with antiquities out of that list BUT also consider Bareknuckle stormy mondays or pg blues. I replaced my antiquities with stormy mondays since I wanted just a tad more brightness overall and little more push on the bridge. They are like antiquites with tone on 11 and bridge volume on 11 - you can always dial it down if too much but cannot add in if not there.  The PG blues are brighter still but I didn't gel with them.

Also don't forget Bareknuckle mules - Alnico 4 PAF clones. I have 2 LPs with these in and are very versatile yet still vintage sounding.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited February 2014
    The more I look into this and review what pickups are out there the more I'm tempted by a pair of Ash's (i.e. @TheGuitarWeasel) alnico 2 Blitz Spirits. It would be nice to hear how they sound compared to the Seth Lovers  but I can't seem to find any sound/video samples. Ash.. if you pick up on this thread.do you think your BS's would give me the tone I'm looking for?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    tFB Trader
    There are a couple of people on here with 'Spirits' they are probably better to ask than me :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I have the Antiquities in an LP, they're nice pickups but I don't think they're what you're after. They have more of a subtle smooth sound (you have to be careful with eq to make sure they don't go mushy TBH), very much on the "old fashioned, low output" side of the fence.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • BKP Mules and Stormy Mondays both sound good to me, the Mules have a little more output.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/