Selling on Reverb?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited April 2017 in Guitar
Has anyone on here done it, and how successful was it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i bought an amp on Reverb a month or so ago, it worked great.

I did try to sell an amp on there but got no responses.

I don;t think it's that widely used in the UK yet, I suspect the classifieds here move a lot more gear than Reverb

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Tried it out with a few pedals, try and support a fleabay alternative etc, but no sniffs at all and sold the pedals on ebay in short order.
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    My listing has had 16 views in 15 days so fair to say I probably won't bother again! 

Ebay listing has had nearly 10x the views in the same time period. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    I sold a guitar on there. I had it on ebay for a while and then listed it on Reverb at a higher price and it sold pretty quickly! Definitely get alot less time wasters contacting you but maybe thats because there are less people looking at the item. 

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    tried it a few times, shifted nothing. 
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    It's a shame we can't get more people away from eBay and their ridiculous fees...
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited April 2017
    I sold a telecaster on Reverb but had also listed on eBay.  My eBay listing clearly stated that the guitar was for sale elsewhere. I would describe the eBay price as speculative, to cover their fees, and the Reverb price more attractive.  I also listed two amplifiers and had some interest but no purchase.  The eBay fess make selling very unattractive for higher priced items. 
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sold a couple of pedals and a guitar via Reverb. Generally a good experience, however there was one item that attracted a potential flipper, and he let forth a torrent when I rejected his grass-cutter of an offer. Overall it seems Reverb has far fewer timewasters, but still ...

Things to watch for:
    - An item sells instantly when someone accepts your asking price. Bear that in mind if and when you advertise elsewhere. Not good if you've accepted or sold locally, but haven't updated Reverb.
    - Reverb defaults to using Paypal if you're not a retailer, so you attract both Reverb and Paypal fees when selling. But it's a lot clearer than Fleabay. There's also the murky situation of the (self configured) Reverb Return Policy versus Paypal Return Policy.

The plus points are incremental over Fleabay. It appears a lot less complicated to list on Reverb, and as a buyer, the listings are a lot more focused. Search for 'x' and you get 'x'. E.g search for 'Yamaha' and you get the musical instruments. (So no motorbikes, no posters, no pictures, no outboard motors, no Yamaha bike spares, and no teddies called Yamaha); search for 'Fender' on Reverb, and you'll avoid the bicycle mudguards.
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited April 2017
    Among a few others I sold and shipped a £2.5k guitar to a guy in the US via Reverb - no problems whatsoever. Have bought a lot of stuff - also never had any problems. Generalising I would say Reverb buyers are a bit more clued up about what theyre looking for and what they want, and more ready and able to buy than a lot of the tyre-kickers/dreamers ive come across on ebay
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    I tried over the weekend and gave up - the form kept telling me I hadn't filled in some of the information and promptly decided to blank out other fields I had filled in. After four attempts I threw in the towel - it was a painful experience.

I've since downloaded the app for my phone so I'll give that a go when I get chance, fingers crossed!
    We are all Chameleons...
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11593
    tFB Trader
    Reverb has ben good when I have sold a few bits and pieces. 
    the big problem at the moment is not enough UK and European viewers.
    So most of my sales have ended up going to the USA.

Had a nice chat with Iain from Reverb at The Guitar Show, and I'm hoping we can get the UK activity up on there.
    Easier to list on than eBay and provided you're selling decent stuff without issues no problems for the buyer either

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1155
    I've had good success with Reverb...........items don't sell as quickly as they do on ebay, but that's to be expected. I find it easier / quicker to list on Reverb (I love the way pics are added) ...........and of course the fees are a lot less.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    BRISTOL86 said:
    My listing has had 16 views in 15 days so fair to say I probably won't bother again! 

Ebay listing has had nearly 10x the views in the same time period. 
    Exactly my experience. Much preferred listing on Reverb but got ten times the views on eBay and sold the lot there (at higher prices)

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    eBay is hard to beat for selling but it's so damn expensive! Here is probably the next best thing.  
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12897
    At the risk of being "that guy" I refuse to use Reverb after the puff piece they ran bigging up known con artist Vertex Pedals. Wasn't cool at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Ive sold a couple of pedals on reverb no issues, got some bits on there now but not much interest. One thing I noticed is that you cant save a draft  AD ( via ipad) unless you fill in all the boxes.....kind of says its finished and not draft to me? I wanted to create some ADs then put the pics on when I got home...no can do.

I did contact them about this and they were quite quick to respond, they are aware and looking into it.

Sales fee is good....if you can sell anything!

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    I will try Reverb next time I sell something (if only by way of thanks for the free T shirt and plectrums that I got from them at The Guitar Show!) Ebay has gone too far with the fees and there seem to be more and more time wasters and con artists on there now. I've had some success with Gumtree but I think it would be great if Reverb could gain a foothold in UK and become a serious alternative to Ebay. I think the UK marketing guy for Reverb is a member here.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    It'll only gain a foothold if we use Reverb.

Remember, you're not restricted to Reverb if you decide to go for it, and it's wise to spread the love about what you're selling - Ebay or Gumtree or Preloved. There's even Criaigslist, if you can get over the fact it's not national, but regional.

There are those who use Ebay or Gumtree or Preloved exclusively, and miss out on so much by not tapping into Reverb.

I'm finding more and more independent UK retailers are using Reverb, and they have Reverb listings which are more up-to-date than on their own websites.