So who are the 'good' MPs?

What's Hot
Naturally there is a lot of talk of politics at the moment.  Almost all of it seems pretty negative.  But does anyone really admire a particular current MP,. whatever party they are from, and why?

I'm pretty disappointed with the MP I voted for last time and feel unlikely to vote the same way again. It's very dispiriting.

When that poor policeman was stabbed at Westminster the other week, Tobias Ellwood MP tried to administer first aid and it was the first time in AGES I heard anyone say anything genuinely positive about a politician. And it had nothing to do with politics.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    I would have thought that bloke that defected to UKIP (Clactons- Douglas Carswell) must have made a good impression because his electorate went with him when he sat for re-election. Don't follow him myself, but that showed strong support for the man. It will be interesting if now he's independent he continues to poll well with his electorate.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Andrew Tyrie. Best MP out there for me. 

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9655
    Unfortunately, I'd struggle to think of anything any politician has done that would make me trust them.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andrew Tyrie. Best MP out there for me. 
    Any particular reason or just generally  good at his job of representing his constituents in the house of Commons?
  • HAL9000 said:
    Unfortunately, I'd struggle to think of anything any politician has done that would make me trust them.
    Isn't that incredibly sad? Surely out of the 650 MPs in the house of Commons, some of them are competent, hard working, doing their best for the people they are elected to represent and are well meaning.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    Caroline Lucas.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Mhairi Black has been quite impressive for a single term (thus far) MP. 
    Her maiden speech was good, the comments about funding Westminster/Buckingham Palace refurbishments were too, though the favourite has to be the "you talk shite hen" incident.
    Although I don't agree with the SNP policies on many issues, she seems passionate and a breath of fresh air.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/snp-mhairi-black-video-conservative-minister-caroline-nokes-tory-hen-commons-scottish-footage-a7618706.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fftc said:
    Caroline Lucas.
    For what reason? 

I'm politically pretty uneducated and I think it's time to do something about it.  I need something positive to look for not simply rejecting the stuff I don't like the sound of (which is MUCH easier).
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    My MP is Alan Johnson, he seems like a decent chap so I was happy to vote for him.      Sad news that he is going to retire and not stand in this election.  
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    Ken Clark comes to mind.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    edited April 2017

DENNIS SKINNER!   (I was attempting to write that in his usual oratory style.)

(Edit: best line in Parliament - "It tolls for thee, Maggie...")

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Paul Flynn (Newport West) is a great guy and a well respected MP. No baggage regarding the expenses row. The other MP I had tremendous respect for was Anne Widdecombe.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    fftc said:
    Caroline Lucas.
    For what reason? 

I'm politically pretty uneducated and I think it's time to do something about it.  I need something positive to look for not simply rejecting the stuff I don't like the sound of (which is MUCH easier).
    She is honest, has the courage of her convictions and her convictions are not those of a self absorbed sociopath.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    John_P said:
    My MP is Alan Johnson, he seems like a decent chap so I was happy to vote for him.      Sad news that he is going to retire and not stand in this election.  
    If it was the Alan Johnson from Peep Show it'd be even better.

'Stick that up your dojo!'
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    That one that was shagging one of the cheeky girls Lemsip Optrex or something
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Andrew Tyrie. Best MP out there for me. 
    Any particular reason or just generally  good at his job of representing his constituents in the house of Commons?
    He has his beliefs and principles and sticks by them. I disagree with him on climate change but disagreement is fine with me. He is a superb chairperson and his work with the Treasury Select Committee is wonderful. 

As a taster, here he is having to get arch cunt Dominic Cummings to answer questions. For anyone who thinks The Thick Of It is exaggerated, I invite them to think again.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    That one that was shagging one of the cheeky girls Lemsip Optrex or something

Lembit Opik (sorry I can't punctuate his name properly.)

I have to admit I laughed when he lost his seat - it was like his voters suddenly thought, "You've had enough celebrity" and booted him.

Also a gliding enthusiast - so most of his successes are built on hot air.

(Feeling vindictive today, something in the air I think.)

Ken Clark comes to mind.

Sky News were really putting the boot into Ken today, talking about his heart ops and whether he was fit to stand for Parliament again. When some folk on here talk about bias, it astounds me how the Sky news is seldom ever pointed out. 

Also funny to see who they don't like. Kay Burley pissing off Dominic Raab this afternoon actually made me thankful for Kay Burley. 

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Mhairi Black and Denis Skinner to name but two
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    My previous  MP (Nick Dubois) was very good. Did a lot for constituents, always replied to emails and tweets and was very visible and he got a lot done.

He was a Tory but as a Left/Green voter I could have voted for him because he really did represent his constituents.

He got voted out at the last election and now we have a Labour MP but unfortunately one who is absolutely useless.