Oh no. I need a helix LT don't I? can it do this ....

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited April 2017 in FX

I am a dyed in the wool 'valve amps rule, digital modelling is for chumps' kind of guy but I think I've come to the realisation that Helix LT is the way to go. Here's why. My band is a bit folky and the line up and instruments used changes depending on the size of venue, length of set, and player availability. As such sometimes I play electric guitar and sometimes I play bass. Now that's a pain in arse having to have 2 rigs in the house, and sometimes taking to a gig. But now we've changed the set a bit I'm adding a nylon acoustic guitar and a bouzouki to the gear list too. Naturally they need and amp and some fx. So potentially for a gig I'd have electric guitar + fx + amp, and acoustic & bouzouki + fx + acoustic amp, bass guitar + bass amp.

Taking two rigs was pain, but three? FUCK THAT

Would Helix LT with a powered monitor in place of an amp basically replace all of my fx and amp needs? Does a Helix play nice with acoustic guitars and basses or are they just for guitars?

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Helix is great for guitar bass and acoustic.
    Think LT only has 1 guitar in so you might want a lehle 3 in 1 in front.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    Helix is great for guitar bass and acoustic.
    Think LT only has 1 guitar in so you might want a lehle 3 in 1 in front.
    Though if you're not using the loops you could use the two returns as extra inputs.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    True! I always forget that as I use all the loops :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24211
    Hate to tell you this but...

I reckon it's probably the best Bass preamp in the Universe at the moment. I can do almost everything my twisted bass addled mind comes up with.
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Cheers. Would I need a 3-1 input though? I was figuring I could just use one input for all the guitars, with each one having a patch with a different volume level to adjust for the individual guitars output levels. 

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24211
    You can have an external box if you like, or you could plug 2 of them into the loop returns and configure them as inputs.

Then just have a patch for each, with Snapshots if needed too.

Piece of piss.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7395
    Cheers. Would I need a 3-1 input though? I was figuring I could just use one input for all the guitars, with each one having a patch with a different volume level to adjust for the individual guitars output levels. 
    no you can use the loop returns as inputs (and define them as such in a patch), ditto the aux in
    Red ones are better. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited April 2017
    Why does everyone think it has to be valves or modelling? Both is the way to go.

• Why does everyone think it has to be valves or modelling? Both is the way to go.
    Because he doesn't want to take 3 separate rigs to a gig. Helix will do it all for him making his life a lot easier. 
    Why does everyone think it has to be valves or modelling? Both is the way to go.
    Well partly because digital gives you the opportunity to gig direct into FOH with only a floor pedal?  Tiny rig.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28050
    Not everyone thinks that, and both is a way to go.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26929
    I don't think people are suggesting they're mutually exclusive, just that an all-Helix rig is a very compact gigging solution.

Half-and-half will be my #1 use-case. FX and maybe preamps into valve power amp inside a traditional 1x12 combo. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    I don't think people are suggesting they're mutually exclusive, just that an all-Helix rig is a very compact gigging solution.

Half-and-half will be my #1 use-case. FX and maybe preamps into valve power amp inside a traditional 1x12 combo. 
    My plan is also to use the Fx of the Helix into a traditional 1x12 combo. Then, in the (hopefully unlikely) event the Helix went down, at least I can pull out a couple of stomp boxes and get through the gig.

And if the combo went down, having the Helix also gives the backup option of going straight into the PA. Although I'll probably still take a spare amp (being obsessive about having back up options).

It's not a competition.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Get a Helix LT and a Variax - solves all your problems, 'cos you can do bass and acoustic easily, and you can do a mandolin with a custom tuning (which might be good enough to do the bouzouki thing), all with one guitar and a floor unit.
    <space for hire>
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188

Right I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go Helix. I'll keep my '68 Princeton RI because I'm stuck in the old ways, but it'll be for home use only.

Now for a powered monitor. For smaller gigs I'll use it for back line, for larger gigs I'll use if as a monitor and feed into FOH. Are there monitors that look sexy as back line cabs but are also wedge shaped? And somebody get me a moon, on a stick.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yamaha DXR10 is the popular choice.
    Because he doesn't want to take 3 separate rigs to a gig. Helix will do it all for him making his life a lot easier. 

Agreed, but you can own both and you have the luxury of options (if you can afford it!).

Right I'm 99% sure I'm gonna go Helix. I'll keep my '68 Princeton RI because I'm stuck in the old ways, but it'll be for home use only.

Now for a powered monitor. For smaller gigs I'll use it for back line, for larger gigs I'll use if as a monitor and feed into FOH. Are there monitors that look sexy as back line cabs but are also wedge shaped? And somebody get me a moon, on a stick.

Good choice to keep the Princeton. My personal experience with powered FRFR cabs was not great and I found them lacking tried the Atomic CLR and Yamaha DXR10) but many love them.

The CLR is a great looking wedge that looks designed for guitar modelling, some of the others are PA speakers and look like it.

• Why does everyone think it has to be valves or modelling? Both is the way to go.
    Agreed, but you can own both and you have the luxury of options (if you can afford it!).
    Sure.  I'd love one of everything if I could afford it!
  • 'Lacking' how, @RandallFlagg ?

(PS, is that a Stephen King's The Stand reference?)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922