Kemper/Helix/Fractal users, have you gone fully digital and do you plan to?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Funnily enough I don't use pedal edit - I got the rack so I don't have to do any of that irksome bending!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm actually gutted Line 6 haven't put a conventional midi port on the Helix Smart Controller that goes with the Rack unit.  I'd totally buy it if it did.
  • I'm actually gutted Line 6 haven't put a conventional midi port on the Helix Smart Controller that goes with the Rack unit.  I'd totally buy it if it did.
    Bloody 'ell, I would too...didn't even know that existed! That'd be awesome for the Fractal!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28120
    I'm actually gutted Line 6 haven't put a conventional midi port on the Helix Smart Controller that goes with the Rack unit.  I'd totally buy it if it did.
    I don't think it'd work though - I suspect it's all driven from the Helix Rack, with very little "brain" in the controller.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526

I'm currently in the midst of a 3 way trial (oh er...)

FX8 vs Helix LT vs Kemper

Initial, and very early days, findings are that the Fractal verb and delay are instantly superior to those of the Helix, imho. 

They can all be roughly summarised as follows;

1.) Kemper is superior for amps. It's like owning hundreds of amp heads.

2.) FX8 is superior with effects and as a looper.

3.) Helix excels with its workflow and ability to loop other pedals and devices. Simple to use and visually fantastic.

Early days though...

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited April 2017

findings are that the Fractal verb and delay are instantly superior to those of the Helix, imho..

That's how I felt, re:reverbs and delays. And pretty much what I expected you to say. Look forward to hearing more as time goes on, mate!

Initial, and very early days, findings are that the Fractal verb and delay are instantly superior to those of the Helix, imho. 

Interesting - in what regard?

I find the Helix ones are good enough to get on with, but a bit "basic". I mostly use them in side chains with other stuff to add interest.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited April 2017
    Sporky said:
    I'm actually gutted Line 6 haven't put a conventional midi port on the Helix Smart Controller that goes with the Rack unit.  I'd totally buy it if it did.
    I don't think it'd work though - I suspect it's all driven from the Helix Rack, with very little "brain" in the controller.
    I suspect you're right.

It's more that the form factor is exactly what I want.  Right number of switches, spacing, expression pedal inputs.  I don't like the look of the Fractal MFC101, too many switches and too little space between them for a clumsy person such as myself.  I use a Behringer FCB 1010 right now which has decent spacing but I don't like the rocker pedals or the switches - actually that means I don't like it at all since those are the two things it has....  it works though!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aye, sorry - got caught up in the "just mash a MIDI socket on" idea and missed the actual aim of the exercise.

Are there any MIDI controllers that have the coloured lights and scribble strips?
  • Sporky said:
    Aye, sorry - got caught up in the "just mash a MIDI socket on" idea and missed the actual aim of the exercise.

Are there any MIDI controllers that have the coloured lights and scribble strips?
    I am not aware of any.

I'm not sure how the scribble strips and lights could be made to integrate with another unit, unless you could edit this via some kind of software.  But yeah it's that the Helix Control design looks spot on and I'm a bit jealous I can't use one.
  • I agree, mate, me too! :-(

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Sporky said:

I am not aware of any.

I'm not sure how the scribble strips and lights could be made to integrate with another unit, unless you could edit this via some kind of software.  But yeah it's that the Helix Control design looks spot on and I'm a bit jealous I can't use one.

You could buy a Helix rack and use that as an intermediate device to control the AxeFX.... probably a bit overkill :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    Sporky said:

I am not aware of any.

http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/mastermind-gt/

RJM make controllers with colourful labels, but they're right expensive!!

I'm using a FCB1010 with my helix rack at moment. Trying to weigh up the benefits of getting the floor controller vs sticking with behringer for helix.

sgosden said:

That is quite a lot of money. If the Helix Control didn't exist, though, I'd think it wasn't an unreasonable lot of money.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    Sporky said:

I find the Helix ones are good enough to get on with, but a bit "basic". I mostly use them in side chains with other stuff to add interest.
    You've answered it yourself mate ! A bit basic, and just 'ok'... the Fractal is more Big Sky-ish
    Ta.

It'll be interesting to see if/when Line6 add a bit more excitement on the reverb/delay front.
  • Sporky said:
    sgosden said:

That is quite a lot of money. If the Helix Control didn't exist, though, I'd think it wasn't an unreasonable lot of money.
    Money aside I still prefer the design of the Helix control compared to those.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802

I'm currently in the midst of a 3 way trial (oh er...)

FX8 vs Helix LT vs Kemper

They can all be roughly summarised as follows;

1.) Kemper is superior for amps. It's like owning hundreds of amp heads.

2.) FX8 is superior with effects and as a looper.

3.) Helix excels with its workflow and ability to loop other pedals and devices. Simple to use and visually fantastic.

Early days though...

I really like the Helix delays, I genuinely think they are top notch and so far take top sport against the DD500 and VMSD for me...

I compared helix vs flint spring and prefer the helix, also really liek the plate. Some of the others are meh though and there is no lush wet style verb. 

I normally mix reverb and delay in parallel too stops them trippin gover each other. also if running dual amps I do one with reverb, one with delay. That's fun.

Of course, I'd still be putting that kemper in a helix loop for ultimate modelling tones... :)
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Sporky said:

You've answered it yourself mate ! A bit basic, and just 'ok'... the Fractal is more Big Sky-ish
    Have you seen any of my videos comparing the Big Sky to the Helix? For the 'basic' sounds, they're pretty comparable. The Big Sky just has a wider range of tones. It's not a quality difference imho, it's just the Helix is a bit more bread and butter right now.

Stacking effects can get you very far though.
  • I think Devin Townsend uses a Kemper for amp tones and an Axe FX 2 for effects. I thought his tone was awesome when I saw him earlier in the year.