Stripping a (guitar)body

So i've acquired an old gear4music strat. I'll be honest, it's pretty garbage. But i'm considering stripping it and making a cheapish partscaster with the body and having a crack at making a guitar from scratch. My main question is, how do i go about stripping the paint? It looks very plastic-like and the body is bizarrely light so i'm not sure a paint stripper may be a good idea, is sanding the best option?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've stripped a few poly bodies now and without doubt a heatgun is the way to go.  You'll spend a lot longer sanding than if you use the gun though you need to be careful to keep it moving so you don't scorch the wood.  
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    cheap heatgun is the way forward. Other methods are simply too much hard work. I think there are a few progress pics in the thread in my signature.

As @Adam_MD said, keep it moving, don't scorch the wood, once you get a feel for it, even thick poly will come off very quickly.

• nice one, thanks for the advice. Heat gun worked a treat although some of the finish was pretty resilient. Sadly I did scorch it in a few spots as it just wouldn't shift until it was too late. But I'm assuming a good sand down and some filler in the dents/chips and it won't be noticeable once it's painted?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited April 2017
    Pics are obiligatory dude :-)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited April 2017 tFB Trader

Try steaming dents first, low power soldering iron, damp rag etc. Then a good filler for anything left (i.e. not p38). Maybe finish with light skim of Dolphin Glaze, for any big/wide dings but not needed for the usual sort of little dents 'n dings.

edit - actually Dolphin Glaze is great for small dinks. It's very fine, doesn't shrink and isn't porous. When sanded well it lies nice & flush so no witness marks, rings etc, through the paint.