Just a scratch on the top

IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
No mention of the massive fucking headstock break...

http://bit.ly/MtcjCh

Anyway - is this one to swerve? It doesn't look the best repair to me.

My SG neck repair has been plugged with dowels and looks a lot more dependable than this one.
Previously known as stevebrum
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Since there doesn't appear to be a scratch on the top shown in any of the pics, presumably he means the break, doesn't know much, and/or is deliberately trying to mislead about how serious it is.

The problem with buying it is that although it looks possible to have it re-done properly, if it's been done with the wrong glue that becomes a very major job. Since it doesn't look like a proper professional repair I would have strong doubts the right glue has been used.

Even so, at £700 it doesn't sound *too* bad. You could spend £300 on re-repairing it properly and still have it for a grand.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• There is a scratch on the top, but quite why he's neglected to mention the neck break - even though he's photographed it - is beyond me.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    At £700 it might make a nice players guitar (in hand assessment is the only way forward), but if the price goes much higher I'd not be interested. I occurs to me that if the shop went bust and money is tight they might have done a DIY superglue headstock fix rather than pay an experienced luthier to do the job. A question to them might reveal more.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6898
    Hmmm shop wisely and 335s can be picked up for £1200-1400 though in original condition.
    edited February 2014
    I've asked him and he says he was unaware and will amend the listing accordingly.

The fact he claims not to know the history of the repair makes it risky!
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If he didn't know about it why did he take two pictures of it?
    Personally, I'd swerve that - it's referred to multiple times as a scratch when it's clearly a neck break - from being knocked/dropped on the edge of the headstock if the lacquer crack along the side edge of the headstock follows others I've seen. That's a sad face in red pen in my book as it's deception, plain as. Liquidated assets etc etc. just seems off to me.

Impossible to determine the quality of the repair from those pics, but... I would say if I were to come into possession of it, I'd have the join separated and repaired properly. Most techs I know would at least have filled the lacquer chip on the back of the neck while repairing the break which indicates whoever repaired it either wasn't paid enough to do the refin work or was just told to make it stable. :( shame, nice looking guitar otherwise.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    The ad has been updated now.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited February 2014
    if it stays at £250, i'll be interested!

and its only 10 miles away.
  • Zoiks. Now the scratch on the top has disappeared!
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Ironic that he won't trust it to a courier!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    edited February 2014
    It's a steal at £250. The hardware and case are worth about that.

Wait and see what it goes for!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I reckon it will get close to a grand...
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Iamnobody;154897" said:
    I reckon it will get close to a grand...

QFT.
    edited February 2014
    Went for £800. A nice buy for someone...

Especially if the original repair is solid.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    There will be tuning problems with that forever...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    There will be tuning problems with that forever…
    Why?